We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Train to Barcelona

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Train to Barcelona

Hi all,

I am planning to take the train from San Sebastian to Barcelona in June 2013.

Does anyone know if I need to book in advance? If so, how long in advance?

I understand it is easy to book online (Renfe or RailEurope) however I would prefer the flexibility.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Train to Barcelona

Who can know how many from Adelaide or wherever might turn up on spec as you might. If you want peace of mind for your preferred journey book in advance.

Additionally, advance purchase will very likely give you a large discount. See the guide on RENFE in Top Questions, right.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
64,581 posts
3,729 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Train to Barcelona

Buy directly from Renfe and avoid the extra fees that agencies charge. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Train to Barcelona

By flexibility, I'm assuming that you mean you want to be able to change your travel time and dates? A one-way ticket ranges from no flex at 38.45€ to full flex (full fare) at 64.10€. The discounted fares are sold out first. The full fares usually are not. However, if there's a special event going on in San Sebastián or in one of the towns along the way, tickets do sell out. It happened to me once and I had to pay 400€ for a stupid one-way ticket from Iberia. Ouch. I might have done better to buy a r/t ticket and discard the 2nd part.

4. Re: Booking Train to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...