We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week of traveling before the Running of the Bulls

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A week of traveling before the Running of the Bulls

My husband and a friend will be riding in the Cannonball Bike Run ending in Pamplona for the Running of the Bulls. While they are on their trip I would like to spend a week traveling in Northwestern Spain and Southwestern France. Flying into Bilboa

Tips on best things to see and do?

I am a big foodie

Love history

Would love cooking classes or winery tours

A spa day would be great

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week of traveling before the Running of the Bulls

ShowMe:

I would suggest visiting San Sebastian. They have several Michelin star restaurants there and the pintxos in the old town are great to eat. The La Concha Beach there is one of the most beautiful beaches in Spain.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,776 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week of traveling before the Running of the Bulls

I agree with the suggestion above, San Sebastian has everything you are looking for.

As well as the Michelin star restaurants there are hundreds of great pintxos (tapas) bars that all serve fantastic food. There are also several cooking classes (have a google for some companies). For winery tours nearby Getaria has some Txakoli vineyards: getariakotxakolina.com/en/bodegas-degustacio…

And the Perla Spa is right on the beach at La Concha; www.la-perla.net/en

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week of traveling before the Running of the Bulls

What about Southwestern Spain? Any ideas?

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week of traveling before the Running of the Bulls

If you are into wine, I would definitely recommend you to visit La Rioja Alavesa, in the south of the Basque Country. The town of Laguardia and its surroundings are my favorites:

euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/la-rioj…

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A week of traveling before the Running of the Bulls

I think that the northern part of Spain and southern France have enough to keep your attention for a week. I would suggest staying in San Sebastian and making that your base because it is kind of in the middle of the Basque country. You can take easy day trips from there to Pamplona, southern France, and Bilbao. Also, in my opinion, it is the most beautiful.

I think the people above had some good ideas about wine tours and food. Also, there is a lot of history in this area and the Basque people have a different culture than the Spanish. It is interesting to see. I would suggest that you see if you can get to another small town festival in the region. They are really cute and I think you would see more of the Basque culture than you would in Pamplona, because it is more touristic.

Here is a link for Basque Country Festivals: basquecountry-tourism.com/culture-festivals-…

Here is a link for more about San Sebastian: http://www.apshawaya.com/san-sebastian.html

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week of traveling before the Running of the Bulls

If you are foodie and like wines, Rioja is as well your places indeed. Plenty of choice for winetasting, historical visits and restourant cooking lesons. If you find hard finding more stuff ask for further advice.

7. Re: A week of traveling before the Running of the Bulls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 07:23
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...