We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit and stay in the Basque Country?

Stourbridge, West...
Level Contributor
173 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Where to visit and stay in the Basque Country?

Hi I am an annual visitor to Spain normally visiting Valencia which is my favourite city so far. But I want to see more of Spain. I have been to Bilbao years ago but I didn't get to see much culture then. I am interested in local culture, architecture, history, regional food and anything unique and interesting. I travel with my wife and two young children younger than 3 years old. Any suggestions where to travel too would be gratefully appreciated. I'm happy to consider anywhere across either border.

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to visit and stay in the Basque Country?

The Basque Country is really beautiful, and I think you will find that it is a bit different than Valencia. The first thing that I would suggest is that you rent a car. There is so much beautiful nature around that it is better to drive around and see it than to go through the hassle of the trains. I would imagine, it would be even much better for you, since you have kids.

Personally, I would stay in San Sebastian. It is a decent size city and really beautiful. Also, it is right on the beach, which would be great for you and your family. Your kids can enjoy the ocean and the water is pretty calm in the bay area. Also, on the top of Mount Igueldo, there is a small theme park for kids.

Here is some more information about San Sebastian:

http://www.apshawaya.com/san-sebastian.html

As far as other places around the Basque country to visit, there are quite a few beautiful cities. It is definitely worth it to go to Bilbao, although you may not want to go again if you were already there once. Some other nice cities are Hondarribia, Zarautz, Pasai Donibane, Saint Jean de Luz (in France), and Biarritz. Also, I would go into the interior part of Guipuzkoa. There are really beautiful mountains like the Txindoki and you can see some traditional Basque villages.

I would also recommend trying to get to a Basque festival. They usually have some good food and they are pretty cultural with people wearing traditional Basque outfits and playing the traditional music. Here is a link for more information about festivals in the Basque Country: basquecountry-tourism.com/culture-festivals-…

I hope this helps a little bit. I think you will enjoy your trip!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,193 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to visit and stay in the Basque Country?

ethereal:

This past summer I spent a week in San Sebastian and enjoyed it very much. We stayed at the Hotel Londres, by the beautiful Playa de la Concha.

We made one day trip to Getaria to see the Balenciaga Museum.

We also made a day trip to Biarritz and St. Jean de Luz.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to visit and stay in the Basque Country?

Both French and Spanish Basque countries are spectacular. San Sebastian and Biarritz are my favourites and travelling between the two is quite easy.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to visit and stay in the Basque Country?

if you are into wine there are seven diferent D.O. to visit in the basque country, Rioja the south most being the most famous worldwide. Medieval towns there are many in the interior and both the coast side.

How many days do you intend to stay at basque country?

Edited: 07 January 2014, 13:20
5. Re: Where to visit and stay in the Basque Country?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 07:20