We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Sebastián and driving back into France...

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney!
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
San Sebastián and driving back into France...

My husband & I will be driving from San Sebastián back into southern France so he can cycle in the Pyrenees in June - would love some tips on towns/places to see along the way! It will be our time in Spain & will do Barcelona before we come to San Sebastián.

Also how long would be a good amount of time to spend in San Sebastián to really relax & chill out? It's part of a 10 week trip & we will be travelling a fair bit so want to make sure we actually relax for decent parts of the trip rather than rushing around!

Would also love tips on areas to stay & what to see / do / eat in San seb!

Thanks

Sally

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,162 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Sebastián and driving back into France...

Sally:

This past summer I spent a week in San Sebastian and stayed at the very good Hotel Londres. We made one day trip to Getaria to see the Balenciaga Museum. Another day trip was to Biarritz.

The old town is behind the Ayuntamiento building and there are many restaurants that serve pintxos.

There is a very beautiful Chinese restaurant called Tse-Yang at the Hotel Maria Cristina. Great Chinese food.

You may want to do a day trip to Bilbao or spend several days there because there are many things to see there. Read the top questions of the Bilbao forum.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 04:10
Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Sebastián and driving back into France...

Hi Sally,

From San Sebastian direction France, I would definitely recommend you to stop in the beautiful town of Hondarribia and enjoy at least one meal there (the food there is even better than the average in the Basque Country!!). Pretty close to Biarritz, you have Bayonne:

euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/…

In San Sebastian, make sure to visit one of the, in my opinion, best museums of the Basque Country: the San Telmo Museum.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Sebastián and driving back into France...

I have also eaten at the Tse Yang restaurant and found it to be an excellent Chinese restaurant. It is also one of my only sit-down meals in San Sebastian.

Once you reach France on your journey, depending on your final destination, I would also suggest Saint Jean de Luz and Biarritz for stops. Various driving videos around the Basque country are available here: www.youtube.com/playlist…

4. Re: San Sebastián and driving back into France...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:18