We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - how difficult?

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester...
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Walking up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - how difficult?

How long and how difficult is walking up the stairs of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe?

Is it a gradual incline?

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - how difficult?

200 steps more or less It took me half an hour with kids I arrived breathless, the kids did it ok.

Nothing at the chapel so take your water and sandwithch with you or book a table at the restaurant by the parking before you go there as when you come back you will be hungry. Another choice is driving to the close fishermen town of Bermeo and eat there.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - how difficult?

Thank you for your feedback.

One more question - I read somewhere there are benches along the way - yes?

My husband had some surgery and if there are, and he is finding it difficult, perhaps he could wait at a bench as I venture on.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - how difficult?

Can be from the restaurant, But I did take the longer and not so step way to the sea, wich is more easy to go that could be the ideal for you, dont stop at the restaurant and drive another 400 yards, then you take a road down to the sea with no steps (no cars allowed but it is an actual road, there's a little parking for 20 cars more or less). On the actual steps to the chapel you can wait and sit in order to breath whenever as you have the wall of the stairs all the time.

Take it easy it is not the wall of china!! But take some water with you and some chocolate just in case of dehidratation on a hot day or a sugar drop.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 12:02
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - how difficult?

Anybody have an update on whether the walkway to the Gaztelugatxe sanctuary is open? The latest reviews of this attraction in Tripadvisor indicate that the walkway is closed for repairs. I'd like to go in a couple weeks when visiting San Sebastian, but not sure it's worth the drive if the walkway is closed.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - how difficult?

this was posted just a few days ago...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187453-i516-k7536…

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - how difficult?

It´s open, they´ve added 10 new steps during the repair works...but just to make the climb easier...I think it´s 241 stairs to the top now.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 07:17
7. Re: Walking up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - how difficult?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...