We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
373 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

Hi

I am travelling with my husband on Thurs 17th July from Gernika to San Sebastian for 3 nights. Can anyone recommend things to do and see en route? Any villages to visit? I have Hondarribia town on my list.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Elizabeth

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,582 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

Elizabeth:

I would see Bilbao. There are many things to see in this beautiful city. Read the top questions in the Bilbao forum.

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
373 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

Thanks Benny Malaga - we have 2 days scheduled in Bilbao:-)

Would you suggest anything else?

Thank you so much for your time!

Elizabeth

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,582 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

Elizabeth:

Vitoria is a very interesting city. I spent four days there and was not bored.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

With time you should take the coastal road go first to San Juaz de gaztelugatxe, from them to mundaka bermeo, laga beach, ea, ispaster, lekeitio, deba, getaria, zazautz, orio,... avoid always the highaway. Instead of one houre the trip will be 6 hours driving but you will enjoy every bit of it.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 12:11
Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
373 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

Hi BennyMalaga - yes, I am pondering a visit to Vitoria, thank you, I've heard a lot of good things.

Patxo Tourguide - You are on form today! Thank you so much for your suggestion, it makes a lot of sense, I'll look to plan our itinerary with your advice!

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Elizabeth

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
373 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

Just checked your coastal route from Gernika Patxo Tourguide - looks just the ticket, might even do some of it while we have our 3 days in Gernika.

I've also got Hondarribia town as a place to see on the way into San Sebastian.

Thanks again - you're a star.

Elizabeth

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

Hondarrabia is great but is not on the way to San Sebastian is 20 Km after SS,

In mixed up did mean Elantxobe but wrote Ispaster that is a inside little village in the midle of nowhere near Gernika.

The days you are in Gernika visit the painted forest, as it is a must go if you like art, and enjoy Laga beach!!

Edited: 18 June 2014, 15:29
Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

One of my favorite routes...as Patxo says, avoid the highway. From Gernika go west to Mundaka (park at the further entrance, so you can enjoy the small quaint port) and enjoy the astonishing views of the estuary of the tidal river of Gernika. San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is a must, but it´d mean going further west. If you make it here, ignore the parking signs and follow the road with the "Dead End" sign...there´s a small monolite to your left, park there for the best views.

On your way west towards San Sebastian, follow signs to Lekeitio, and then divert to Elantxobe (amazing town in what looks like the Amalfi coast), keep on going towards Ea (parking is complicated there) and go all the way to the beach by the riverside...you´ll love it. Then, follow to Lekeitio. Parking is impossible in town on those dates, try to park on those parking places marked at the entrance of town. Make a reservation for lunch at Aisia Hostal de la Emperatriz, unbeatable prices overlooking the sea, the town and the beaches. Don´t miss the Tala, at the far end of the port, and keep going up to discover a little hermitage by the sea. I spent many childhood summers there...And then Zumaia, with the San Telmo church on top of the Itzurun beach (follow San Telmo signs...parking complicated, try downtown) and a beautiful part of St James Way...on your way to Getaria and the Balenciaga Dress Museum (the designer was born there, his humble house has a sign on it) and the fishing port...and San Sebastian. Hondarribia is next town, visit the Parador-Castle on top and the amazing views of Hendaye from there...

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
373 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

Replaced it with Elantxobe! I have noted the painted forest from my investigations. Looks like Hondarrabia is out then, just double checked on the map, and it's not even on the way to Laguardia (next port of call). Hopefully replaced by some of your other suggestions!

Thanks so much:-)

Elizabeth

10. Re: Gernika to San Sebastian - where to visit en route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...