We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

We are staying in the area for four days in September and wondering about eating in the cafeteria at the Basque Culinary Center. While I did find an English version of the website there isn't much information about the cafeteria in English.

Has anyone eaten there? Is it worthwhile? I see a link for making reservations but not in English. Wondering if reservations are necessary.

Cafeteria implies a casual eating place, not the kind of place that requires reservations but that could be translation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,716 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

Sharon:

http://www.bculinary.com/es/instalaciones

The photos show it is a casual eating place. I have not been there but have been to another cooking school in Benalmadena. The food is cooked by the students and served by them. This is a good training ground for the students. I think that you will eat well there. Of course they would want clients to make reservations to help them plan their menus.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

Yes, that's the website I've been on. We've eaten in other culinary schools and enjoyed the experience. The menu usually reflects what the students are working on at the time.

While the furnishing of the cafeteria is casual the requirement to have reservations is formal so I am a little confused.

I've tried to complete the reservation form but it is impossible to do without knowing the language.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,716 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

Sharon:

Have you tried Google Translate?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

I use Google translate all the time but I was hoping to find someone who had eaten there to find out whether it was worth our time before I reserve.

5. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 12:54
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

Thanks for your reply. Your English is very good, so much better than my Spanish.

It sounds like you had a good meal. I'll keep trying.

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
462 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

Hi, the food is cooked by the students and served by them. Now, in august, they are on holidays, you have to wait to september to eat in the Basque.

It´s the better site to eat in San Sebastian and it has a very very good price. The best best is Arzak ;-)

PD. my english is very bad, sorry

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

I'm sure a cafeteria in the Basque country has better food than 98% of restaurants in the U.S.

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
462 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

It's possible. But much more expensive too!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Basque Culinary Center Cafeteria

I was thinking the same thing, Cuthbert!

I will add this place to my list for next June.