We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

I am considering driving from San Sebastian to Santiago De Compostela and I would like to know if it is worth the drive. I will be making stops along the way. This will take a few days. How are the roads, are there restaurants along the way, gas stations? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

Beautiful, very scenic road, hundreds (millions?) of restaurants, gas stations everywhere...and hundreds of beautiful spots & stops along the way. Couldn´t decide on what to see, but can´t miss Lekeitio, Getaria, Bilbao, San Vicente de la Barquera, Santillana del Mar, Santander, Ribadesella, Cudillero, Lastres, Gijón, Oviedo, Luarca, Ribadeo...those would be some of the places to stop and see.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

The main A8 highway is great. A small section is tolled but will not coast a great deal. One section of the A8 is still under construction. Fuel stops are plentiful. You can fuel up too,coffee and a quick bite is always good.

Go with Mike's suggestions Plus if you wanted mountains then The Picos de Europa is not far away either. For me this is one of the most spectacular Autovias in Spain.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

Flying to bilbao. Wanting to play golf just once or twice, love the beaches for a couple of days and a couple days in the cities of bilbao and san sebastian. Hiring a car and love sight seeing .Could anyone start us off . Do we go west or east first. Need a hotel that combines golf sun bathing and touring. Any suggestions where we should be based?

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

Several golf courses on the area, but take into account this is a very rainy land. Follow the road to Mundaka, Gernika, Lekeitio, Zumaia, Getaria and then San Sebastián. Not a wide choice of hotels + golf...in fact, I can only think of two right now, Palacio de Urgoiti and Urturi...www.mugalari.wordpress.com, my blog with useful info on the area.

colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

How easy will be to find hotels alongside this route? Can I go all t h e way to Vigo without accommodation reserves?

colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

How easy will be to find hotels alongside this route? Can I go all t h e way to Vigo without accommodation reserves?

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

Depends when you're doing it. There are many service stations along the way which also have hotels attached (where you can just turn up on the day with more success), and of couse hundreds of villages with posadas and hotels. If you're travelling in high season, you'll need to book these in advance, but off season you shouldn't have too much trouble, unless you're planning to stay in the most popular places.

ratoncantabria.wordpress.com

colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

Already reading your WordPress.

I will be in Bilbao on June 1 planning on driving 10 days along the C coast. In Vigo I will take a train to Viana do Castelo in Portugal and drive there 5 more days through towns to Porto.

I'll love to stay at Posadas but heard they are very expensive. Budgeted on 100 max per night.

Any additional recommendations?

Thanks Raton

Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

If you have one night while driving between Bilbao and Santiago, what would be your first choice?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,162 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela

Norma:

Cangas de Onis is a beautiful village near the Picos de Europa. The best restaurant is beside the Roman Bridge.

Near Santander:

Santillana del Mar is a beautiful medieval town near Santander. It developed around the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria. Today it is one of the most beautiful Romanesque churches in Spain. The town has many defense towers and Renaissance palaces. The Altamira Museum is very interesting. Calle Santo Domingo is the main street and is a cobbled street lined with stately buildings built in the 14th-17th centuries. There is a good Parador in town. A good restaurant is La Villa (Plaza de la Gandara).

Comillas is a small town in Cantabria by the sea. It is famous for Gaudi’s modernist El Capricho and the Sobrellano Palace in a Neogothic style. The small town is very charming and it has good beaches. The aristocrats of Spain like to spend summers here.

Get a rental car with a GPS to make driving easy.

Edited: 20 August 2015, 04:30
Reply to: Drive from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted