We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

Irelands Largest package holiday company Budget Travel has today gone into liquidation with the loss of 180 jobs.

It was the biggest carrier of Irish Tourists into Ibiza and properties included the Zodiac and Piscis Park in San Antonio, Jet and Posiedon apartments in Playa Den Bossa, Torremar in San Miguel along with the Casa Luis and Ola Club Cala Llenya in Santa Eularia.

All customers are covered by the companies bond and will get a full refund on any payments made to date. Holiday makers already abroad will have their flights home as normal.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

Presume this cuts the options badly if travelling from ireland. Hope i am wrong but see things getting worse, before they get better. Tried to caution a TA member about booking with BMI a while ago, yesterdays news that the parent company Lufthansa was dropping 600 routes with immediate effect and likely to withdraw all funding by April, basically they are likely to sell all BMI heathrow slots for 600/700 million pocked the money and close the company

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,550 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

Holiday Options last week, Budget Travel this week, who is going to be next? Lets hope the economy improves and the tour operators and airline survive the storm.

Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

There are now only 3 options from Dublin. Aer Lingus have added an extra flight on Thursdays to their successful Ibiza route that they only started for a trial period last year. Ryanair say they wont fly any new routes from Ireland untill the Government drops the ridiculous €10 airport departure tax

The Thomas Cook owned companies Direct Holidays and Panorama are the only tour operator flying into Ibiza from Dublin after Falcon/JWT pulled out this year. There are rumours that Thomas Cook are also in trouble. There are options from Belfast with the English operators.

I just feel sorry for all the small Hoteliers in Ibiza who depended on Budget to fill their rooms year after year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

Welshtraveller, I thought of you when I heard Holiday Options had gone. Funnily enough their customers are being sorted out by Light Blue Travel who are about 5 miles down the road from here.

Danny, where did you hear Thomas Cook are in trouble? I work in the travel business and I haven't heard anything like that. Plus, if that was the case surely their shares would not be a similar value to Thomsons? Plus, I worked for Airtours when they were having money problems and the staff knew just how bad things were then. Surely people in the industry would have heard?

Edited: 27 November 2009, 10:48
Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

Hi Belle,

Its just rumor at the moment. Thomas Cook shares are down 10% since a company that owns over 50% of Cook shares has applied for State aid in Germany.

Here is a story relating to the topic;

travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2009/06/08/31152…

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

That story was from June. Since then the shares have been bought by different banks. Article below

travelweekly.co.uk/SearchServices/…

Also, as I understand it both Cook's and Tui made over £300 million profit last year, I don't think they've announced this year's figures yet.

Edited: 27 November 2009, 16:33
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,550 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

Hi MyBelle - Is it possible to book a Light Blue Travel holiday via Thomas Cook? I notice the Light Blue Travel website does not mention the Azores, can you book Azores with LBT?

We nearly booked a holiday to Croatia with HO earlier in the year but luckily we decided to book the holiday independently. We have booked the accommodation with the hotel direct with separate BA flights to Dubrovnik from Gatwick. (Hope there ok as well!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

As far as I know, Light Blue travel are purely a travel agent. I think they're only helping out people who've already booked through Holiday Options. Not sure exactly what role they are playing in it all. I don't think they are an actual tour op.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

Of all the hotels that Budget Travel used which were considered the best? Just thinking ahead to the idea that there might be some bargains available to those who book direct with the hotel?

Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget Travel Goes into Liquidation.

Most of the Budget accommodation was fairly basic and I wouldn't be staying in any unless I had to.

Dont worry there will be lots of discounts available for next year in Ibiza as demand will not meet supply.

Already some accommodation are offering 30% discounts if you book in the next few months.