We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oldies first time to Ibiza

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Oldies first time to Ibiza

As a sixtyish couple, we are considering a first visit to Ibiza and we would appreciate any advice as to its suitability and which resort to go for. We would be visiting early or late season, May or late September. I know that Ibiza has a reputation as a "party island" in high season, but maybe not early and late season? We like a nice beach with lots of shops, cafes, and bars, (but not looking for rowdy atmosphere). We like to stroll round the area, preferably a resort that's mainly flat, and in the evenings its a stroll and a drink after dinner, rather than clubs etc. We have previously visited Palma Nova in Majorca at that time of year and have found it good for us, although we wouldn't dream of going there in high season - much too noisy for us. We usually hire a car for a week of our 2 week stay, so we can have a good explore.

Any advice or suggestions on resorts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Genie

ibiza
Destination Expert
for Ibiza, Sant Antoni de Portmany
Level Contributor
3,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

it can only be santa eulalia for you. all your boxes will be ticked. here's my fashion tip - lemon and lilac pastel shades are all the rage there at the moment.

mm

London, England
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

I would also suggest Santa Eulalia and go in May, rather than September. The island is very pretty at that time of year and the service in hotels, bars, restaurants etc tends to be better as it is the beginning of the season.

Sta Eulalia also has a number of good restaurants.

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

Thanks very much both of you for your replies. Looks like I'm going to be reading up on Santa Eulalia !!

Genie

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

On my way to SE tomorrow and again in September!

Phil

(another 60 something)

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

whitcop - sorry - Phil, You obviously like it there then - twice in one year?? It's looking like it might be next year before we can get there. Any hotels you can recommend? - we usually go for 4 star ish and must be close to the beach.

mouseymouse - I'll make sure hubby takes all his lilac and lemon gear (!) Can you recommend anywhere to stay?

Thanks guys!

Genie

ibiza
Destination Expert
for Ibiza, Sant Antoni de Portmany
Level Contributor
3,439 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

there's an old folks home on the san carlos roundabout just out of town, no stairs, super loud tellies and no rush to put towels on the zimmer frames every morning.

mm

whoops, just remembered, that's the thomson gold hotel, though as my alzheimers is playing tricks on me today i can't remember its name. the hotel wossaname i think it is. ask thomson, they'll know.

Rugby
Destination Expert
for Ibiza
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

The Ses Estaques (Thomson Gold) is located by the marina and is a flat walk into town. It has plenty of repeat guests (see the reviews). The Riomar is right on the promenade but has no aircon. The only other hotels which may suit are the Tres Torres or the La Cala. I'd read up on those three and decide then. I think you will love Santa Eulalia. To me, its the nicest resort with a lovely promenade. I came back in June from my eighth visit!

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

Hi Genie. We stay just down the road in S’Argamassa in apartments but usually eat in Santa E most evenings. Four starish close to the beach not so easy. The Thomson Gold Ses Estaque is what you would like (I notice you have stayed in the Hotel Levante so have we, another Thomson OAP home according to MM) but there is no real beach outside it. You would have to walk along the promenade to the town beach. The Tres Torres is nearer the town beach but still 400m or so. There used to be a Thomson Gold in Cala LLonga but I think it’s now been upgraded to a couples hotel and that over looks the beach but Cala Llonga is more quiet that Santa E. Just around the corner from were we stay is the Hotel S'Argamassa Palace which has access to Cala Pada beach and the Hotel Club Augusta which overlooks a small beach with Cala Pada being about a 5 minutes walk along the costal path. There is another Thomson Gold hotel that gets excellent reviews in Es Cana called the Hotel Panorama about 4 miles from Santa E again only a few minutes walk from the beach. As Librarianne says Santa E has lots of repeat visitors. Tomorrow will be our 13th since 1998.

Phil

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

mouseymouse. I forgot ask if you dont mind but where do you live on the beautiful island?

Phil

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oldies first time to Ibiza

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, I'll have a good look at them.

Genie