We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Ibiza

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Ibiza

I'm travelling to Ibiza with my 2 sons in October half term to Cala de Bou. I'm torn between hiring a car and just using taxis and public transport. Does anyone know if the journey from the airport to Cala de Bou is an easy and direct one? What are the roads and driving like in Ibiza?

What would be the average fare be from the airport to Cala de Bou? Anyone know of any shuttle buses?

Any info would be very much appreciate … thank you … Tina

Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Ibiza

A car will offer you much more flexibility. If you can use sat nav then its an easy drive, just drive carefully and you will be fine. Roads will be quiet in October and car rental cheap. Taxi's are expensive and dont go down in price in October like car rental does. Average fare to the airport from Cala de Bou is €30 one way. A shuttle bus in about 10 per person if you can find one. Car is your best option imo as long as you have experience of left hand drive.

Danny

http://dannykayibiza.blogspot.ie/

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Ibiza

Thank you Danny for your reply and info. I drive an automatic at home, so I may opt for that choice in Ibiza too … less to think about. I have little experience driving on the rhs of the road, but I'm guessing I will get used to it quickly. It would be the roundabouts that would prove difficult!

kind regards Tina

Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Ibiza

If you have no experience of driving on the right hand side, I would not suggest you start in Ibiza. Lots of junctions, roundabouts, country roads and one way streets etc. Interesting to hear other peoples view on this topic.....

Danny

http://dannykayibiza.blogspot.ie/

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Ibiza

I would say go for the car. At the end of October when you are visiting the roads are quiet. Roundabouts are no problem and generally in Ibiza signposting is good. This 18KM (11.5 miles) drive will only take about 30 minutes. The only unusual point for Tina would be the left turn after the airport to join the PM803. We are not used to pulling into the middle of the road before slipping into the lane. It might be a different story is Tina is arriving during the dark.

Route - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/38.8764326,1.3668315/38.9729454,1.2845277/@38.9009406,1.3943005,31967m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e0

In my own case I first drove in Mallorca in 89 for a few days without any problems. The following year it was a mad drive from Orlando Airport, some 20 miles to our hotel at 5pm on a hot August day. My first automatic! Found the hotel but I didn't want to get out of the car because I couldn't remove the key. I don't think they told me it had to be in "Park".

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Ibiza

The roads in October will be so quiet will be an ideal time to start learning to drive on the other side of the road.

We are there until the end of September and it is quiet then on the roads, once you get out of the main towns hardly any traffic, once on the PM 803 likely to be on her own.

back next month, dont expect to see anyone on the road as were there mid month.

Never used a sat nav in my life and I have a transport business and ban all my staff from usage s your eyes and ears should be concentrated on the road.

Signage in Ibiza is good today, not the same when I first started driving in Europe, 50 years ago.

Having a car will transform your life, until the 1st June Ibiza on local transport schedules which will totally hamper your ability to get about.

You will see more bad driving in the u.k. every day, I am sure Southampton has its lunitics behind the wheel.

Just have look at the views on Google street view, you will see how quiet the roads are, people in shirts sleeves so has to be summer.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,844 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Ibiza

I would definitely hire a car. It is so much more convenient than using public transport. Especially in a place like Ibiza. We never go on holiday anywhere without hiring a car as it gives us so much more flexibility.

As already mentioned the roads should be reasonably quiet in Ibiza. You need to check the cost of hiring an automatic car as they tend to be considerably more expensive than a manual.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Ibiza

Thank you very much for all your comments and thoughts. I'm gonna try with the car, maybe there's a place I can practice? I think I'll be fine until I have to choose lanes ... Tina

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Ibiza

Thank you very much for all your comments and thoughts. I'm gonna try with the car, maybe there's a place I can practice? I think I'll be fine until I have to choose lanes ... Tina

Thank you whitcop for the route map

Belfast
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Ibiza

So sorry to impose on your thread, but didnt want to start another given that this one is so recent. My husband, myself and our son are visiting Ibiza on 28 May 2014 and staying at Sirena Club Auris. Our son will be 2 and we dont really know what the holiday will entail, but we know that there will be some transport involved. We had considered the water taxi to take us to and from San Antonio (town/bay). As a couple, we have been to ibiza 4 times, so we know it a little, but they have always been clubbing holidays and we had never considered driving.

Now that we have the little one, it will be a much different holiday and we would like to see more of the Island and in the evening, maybe drive to San Antonio bay for dinner etc (no drinking from me the driver).

Now, I am a relatively confident driver, I drove in Florida, but I know that will be very different from Ibiza. Any time I have been in taxis, my heart has been in my mouth.

What I want to ask is:

Is there decent parking in San Antonio town/bay to allow us to enjoy a meal somewhere and park outside

Is the drive from Sirenis Club Aura to San Antonio simple enough

If we hired a car and drove to different beaches, would there be sufficient parking there

In May/Early June would the roads be quieter

Would it be worth getting a Sat Nav

I am reluctant to hire the car as I am quite worried about the thought of driving, but I know the difference having the car made to our holiday in Florida and I'd love to really explore ibiza, given that I have been so many times and have seen (or remember) so little.

I'd be so grateful to anyone that could offer any assistance or advice.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Ibiza

Were back at the end of next month, the roads will be very quiet and especially around the Club Aura. (see google street)

We always find the car parks on the front which is a dead end as you drive towards the sunset strip, always have spaces an hour before sunset. Its just a short walk to Club mambo, although the walk uphill not a issue pushing a little one.

In addition we can usually find a spot on the roads behind Cafe mambo, we go at the time of either the opening or closing parties, so busy on the island.

Get answers to your questions about Ibiza