We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

Brighton
2 posts
Save Topic
Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

Hi,

My friends and I are planning a sailing holiday round Ibiza and Formentera. My friend it bringing his boat over from Alicante so no need for charter.

Any advice on good places to stop off or good bays to anchor in would be really useful.

Also I have heard about a restaurant on Formentera called "Juan Y Andreas". It sounds great I was just wondering if anyone has been and knows how expensive it is.

Any tip or advice would be really appreciated.

Balearics
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

Hi,

Around Formentera the best anchorage is Espalmador, a private island with lovely beach and sheltered pretty much NW round to S. The summer prevailing winds are easterly so Cala Sahona and anywhere off the Illetas are a nice anchorage, with plenty of sand.

Juan y Andrea is a beach bar on the Illetas and, like all of them, is way overpriced - people pay for the view.

If the wind swings to the west you'll need to be on the eastern side of the island - Es Pujols has a lot of sand but don't venture too close in, same goes for Es Calo - or in the bay just west of La Savina (called either Sa Pedrera by the locals or Ensenada de Cabrita by the pilot books). Very little sand here, mainly rock & weed, although the Balearic Islands Govt has put free mooring buoys down for the last 2 years. These would be your best bet and the area is very handy for provisions - just take your dinghy into the lagoon (Estany de Peche) and pull up on the beach opposite the local supermarket (Tandy - an excellent supermarket).

Around Ibiza our favourite anchorages are San Miguel on the north coast and San Antonio (yes, I know but actually, at anchor away from the madding crowd, the town has much to offer). We're not impressed with Cala Llonga (we dragged there - the katabatic winds have to be experienced to be believed), Cala Boix (too rolly) or Talamanca (much too rolly). When I tell you that our yacht is 18 metres, 30 tonnes and that we've sailed here for the past 7 years, you'll understand that this is not said through inexperience!

If you want more info, please let me know because I'll be happy to pass what I know on. In any event, have a great holiday!

Londres
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

We ate at "Juan y Andrea" last week and will NOT be eating there again, found it expensive (180 euros 2 adults and 2 children), fish is not cooked great, you can eat better fish anywhere in Spain. The service was friendly until we said we wanted to pay with Amex (when they claim to accept it), the waiter was plain rude but did take the card eventually. The location is ok but so will be having a "bocadillo de jamón ibérico" under your own parasol on the beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

I have just returned from Ibiza and to answer the last part of your question, 'Juan Y Andreas' is very expensive, however, unlike other contributors I thought it was well worth it.

I was in a party of 11 and we were all suffering from the excesses of the previous night, but the staff couldn't do enough to help us and were very attentive.

We found the food to be exceptional, especially the salt-baked Dorada and the lobster.

The bill was just shy of 1,700 euro, but that did include quite a bit of Champagne.

Londres
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

£1700? Did you pay cash?

Costa Blanca
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

Hi

We are planning to sail to Formentera soon and are looking for any advice you may have. We unlike others on the forum are on a budget and retsaurants like Juan Y Andreas are out of bounds.

Only there for a couple of days and would like to know best anchorage this time of year.

FairyTurn
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

Hi!

On the subject of Juan Y Andreas, I had planned a lunch here with 12 girls for my afternoon before my wedding, as the beach is lovely and thought it would be a good spot to base ourselves.

HOWEVER, if it is really that expensive then I think it might put the girls off and I don't want to put them in a restuarant where all they can order is the side salad!

I would be so very gratefull if someone could recommend an alternative? I lovely white sandy beach with a restaurant for a long girls afternoon? I have been to Illettes once before and loved the beach and thats why I have chosen this spot.

Thank you in advance and I would welcome any sort of tip/advice.

Jen

Balearics
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

Hi,

The best anchorages are Espalmador, a private island but very popular anchorage with shelter from north (nnw) round to southeast. If the wind swings to the west then the bay protected by punta pedrera, just west of La Savina, is the only tenable anchorage but you must look for sand or take a mooring buoy as the holding on rock and weed is very poor.

In favourable conditions it is possible to anchor just off the port of La Savina, by the 3 red fairway buoys. The holding in sand is excellent and it is very convenient for trips ashore for shopping etc, just watch out for the wash from the ferries.

Cala Sahona is a lovely anchorage in favourable weather from the east - as much sand as you could wish to anchor on and crystal clear water.

We are based here all year round so if you have any more questions, please contact me.

Jenny

8. Re: Sailing round Ibiza and Formentera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about Formentera