We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire in Formentera

Grandola, Portugal
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire in Formentera

Hi!

We go to Formentera (Rio La Mola) in July.

Do you know how much is the Taxi fare for 4 people from La Savina Port to Hotel Rio La Mola?

Can anyone recomend a budget car hire firm?

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire in Formentera

Taxi 17 -20 euros

http://www.lasavinarentacar.com/

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire in Formentera

Due to the size of the island it may not be cost effective to hire a car due to some companies charging you for a full tank of petrol. There are a lot of posts on TA re being "ripped off". You may find it cheaper to go by taxi for each journey.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire in Formentera

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187461-i905-k73…

Just read your Subject again might be any further responses you get and those to mine might well help us both.

Ilfracombe, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire in Formentera

Hi,

We have been going to Formentera for many years and for the last `10 or so have hired a car instead of bikes in our younger days. I Google "cheap car hire Formentera" and get a number of "broker" sites like Amigoautos, Rhino car hire, etc and compare their prices. I have never had any problem with rip offs like claiming the car was scratched or having to return the car empty of fuel when it is very difficult to use a full tank of fuel in even a fortnight. I have usually ended uyp with a car provided by either Europcar or Avis, both of whom have offices right in the port area so no need for taxis at all!

One thing I would recommend however is to take out excess insurance cover in UK before you travel. this covers you for any excess charge, damage to glass or tyres, even loss of keys and is very reasonably priced compared to the similar product offered by the car hire companies. I have always used Questor Insurance but there are several available on the internet. A full year throughout Europe however many times you hire a car is about £40 compared to around £10 a day from the hire companies..

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire in Formentera

I agree totally with the previous post, having used Europcar with no problems in the past and with our own excess insurance annual policy.

Another option is to rent an e-bike - regular pedal cycle with battery powered assistance - for the hills or if you are just getting tired on your way home form a hard day on the beach! You can chose to use the battery or turn it off and just use your legs. We have found this a great way to still get some exercise but with he comfort of knowing that if we get tired (as we do as we get older!), we have some power assistance to get us back home. We rent ours from Electrakar.com close to the harbour in La Savina, and they come with a charger that you just plug into the wall at your accommodation, although I can't seem to find the website or any details for that supplier at the moment. There is however another renter in San Francisco Javier who can deliver to your accommodation.

emobile-formentera.com/information-in-englis…

The cost is about €14 a day for a 7 day hire. €25 for a one day hire.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire in Formentera

Was searching for info on transportation and came across your post, very helpful! Electric bikes, perfect! As you seem to know the island can you suggest where to head to for the day, we're only there for a few hours so want to make most of it :-) Thank you

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire in Formentera

Where to head for? There's no easy answer, and you really need a lot more than a few hours to do Formentera justice. It depends on how you want to spend your time on the island, and how much time you have.

If you want to do simply lie on a beach with the minimum of cycling, head for the beautiful Ses Illetas and/or Llevant beaches, a short cycle from the harbour. They tend to get a bit busy though with day trippers from Ibiza, so a better option would be to take the "cami" cycle route round the Estany Pudent to Es Pujols, where if you take the road back to wards La Savina you can stop on any of the fine but quieter beaches from Ses Canyes to Llevant. Es Pujols is the closest to a resort on the island, with plenty of shops, bars and restaurants.

If you want to see more of the island and don't mind cycling most of the time, there is a good network of "green routes" to explore, all with fairly easy access to the Mitjorn and Tramuntana coastlines, where you really can find a quiet spot.

8. Re: Car Hire in Formentera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:15