We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

bolton
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Planning to come to Majorca one of the last 2 weeks in June. Don't really know which resort would be most suitable for us. Couple in late thirties no kids, he's a sun worshipper, I like to have a potter around, both enjoy a good drink, don't want to drive anywhere.Don't want a Blackpool type place or one with loads of kids, but do want a bit of life. Any thoughts?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

We'll be there then, Puerto Soller is our choice for a nice relaxing resort, very few kids, no late bars just plenty of peace and quiet and a nice selection of excellent restaurants and some stunning scenery in the area. Only problem you might have is getting a booking, a lot of places may be fully booked.

Check out the link below.

http://www.sollernet.com/indexen.html

Magaluf, Spain
Level Contributor
297 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Hi,

Although Soller is very nice you won't find much life there. It's a bit TOO relaxing.

I would suggest maybe Palma Nova or Santa Ponsa. Both resorts have plenty to do if you want to but you can also have a peaceful bereak with good beaches.

I personally know more of Palma Nova which has lots of good restaurants, good beaches, good bars.

In nearby Magaluf you have the Pirates show, waterparks and Go Karting. It is also only 20 minutes on the bus to Palma (2.50 euros) if you fancy a bit of a cultural day out.

Wherever you decide, have a great holiday.

Beatster

bolton
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks for your replies, both are interesting. I have been to Palma Nova in the dim and distant past, and whilst it ticked the relevant boxes 20yrs ago, I feel that maybe its not quite what I'm looking for now. Last year I went to Parga in Greece on the advice of family and the TA forum, and whilst we found it beautiful, we were slightly bored by the nightlife. This makes me hesitant to try somewhere like Port Soller as whilst I'm tempted by its beauty, I don't want to be let down like I was last year . Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? I suppose I want the best of both worlds! Does it exist? Is it in Majorca? Would appreciate suggestions anywhere. Thanks Anne

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Hi Anne,

What about Puerto Pollensa? It has plenty of shops, bars & restaurants. It's pretty with a nice beach and still feels 'Spanish'. There's a long seafront so you can potter around. There's also a bus service to Alcudia and you can also get to Cala San Vicente (small resort with a little sandy cove). You might have to get a taxi to Cala San Vicente as not sure how frequent the bus service is to it. There will be kids there but probably not as many as Alcudia and as it's not the kids holidays - not too many. Would have thought Puerto Pollensa's just up your street

Michelle

warwickshire
Level Contributor
961 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

hi i agree with the above post,if possible try and get a hotel on the pinewalk,lovely beach,with cobbled path in front of hotels,great shops etc for pottering around.

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

I think that Cala Dor would tick all your boxes. Its a nice sophisticated resort, no lager louts or gangs of clubbing teenagers. It has a lovely marina with excellent restaurants, and the resort has a number of lovely small coves.If you want wide sandy beaches, Cala Mondrago and Es Trench are not too far away. I really adore Soller but it may be too quiet for a two week holiday. Cala Dor has a bit of life -there are a number of late night bars and a nightclub or two if you want to find them. A typical night for us would be a drink before dinner in a nice spot overlooking the marina, followed by dinner in a very nice restaurant with not too many screaming kids (there are loads of good ones to choose from) a stroll around town and a drink or three in a couple of bars till as late as you want.

Huntingdon
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

Taking into account all your requirements, I, too, think that Cala D'Or would suit you perfectly.

Jen

8. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Majorca