We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monastery accommodation

Edinburgh, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Monastery accommodation

Any recommendations for which of the monasteries to spend a night or two at and where best info, including booking info, might be obtained?

Lluc looks like it could be great what with it being a working monastery etc.

But as we plan to spend three or four days at Puerto Pollensa anyway it might be too long in the one area.

(Unless someone tells us the monastery is a must-stay-there experience.)

Santuari de Cura seemed like an option but, again, as we're spending a few days in Palma it seems more like a day trip rather than a stop-over.

(Again, unless someone thinks it's a must-do.)

The monastery at Sant Salvador also seems interesting and would be convenient for a look around the south east and perhaps the Cuevas del Drach.

(If they are worth the trip.)

Guidance would be appreciated

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monastery accommodation

Have been to Lluc which is in a beautiful, tranquil location and convenient for Pollensa..The walk around the undulating grounds is most enjoyable and relaxing. It does receive many pilgrims/visitors especially in coach parties but most don't venture outside the buildings/cafeteria. If you are there when the boys' choir sings in the basilica it is special.It is right out in the wilds with farm animals grazing in the adjacent meadows and chickens foraging. I wouldn't want to stay there overnight as it looks cold and spartan. I don't suppose the monks expect anything more and you might have your own reasons for wanting to stay in a monastery but no way would I stay there.Some of the monks' cells look like the Bethlehem manger.Maybe rooms for visitors are more comfortable.You can walk around most of the monastery. I would also worry about the showering/toilet facilities as the public loos are quite basic but then I am spoiled.There is a very good restaurant as you enter the complex-facing you just before you take a left turn into the car/coach parks.I had a good paella there for lunch.There is also a grand stylish restaurant actually in the main building but it was not open for lunch on the 3 occasions I have visited Lluc.

I am curious.What is the reason for the pull of staying in a monastery?

Edinburgh, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Monastery accommodation

Many thanks for that reply WirralScouse - the info you give is very helpful and it's so handy to have your first-hand account.

And from your description, I reckon we'll be re-thinking those plans and giving the monastery accommodation a very wide berth!

You ask why we might want (have wanted) to do it.

Just because it's something different.

But we're not such seekers of new experiences that we're going to slum it THAT much!

I see you reply to a lot of queries and wonder if you might have any thoughts to another I asked about accommodation in Palma city, which I've posted with the subject line: Anywhere else like Hotel Born?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monastery accommodation

Not that experienced in Palma, only stayed there once in Athena Palace Hotel.I only report on places I know well which in Majorca are towards the North and North East of the island.Having said that I am making a special pilgrimage to attend the Trip Advisor Majorca Forum International Convention arranged by Manchester Golfer for 1 October in Magaluf!I will be so far south of my comfort zone in Majorca I might get a nose bleed or a panic attack.And one of the other delegates, Val, might have to nurse me through it.

Thanks for replying.(Good decision re the monastery-leave it to those who like a bit of hardship to chastise their consciences).Me?- I am shamelessly indulgent.

northern ireland...
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Monastery accommodation

Was at Sant Salvador monastery in the summer the accommodation looked very nice and there are wonderful views. It's close to Porto Colom and Cala d'or, and there are markets worth visiting in Santanyi( Wed & Sat)and Felanitx(Sun).Cuevas del Drach are worth a visit.

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monastery accommodation

The Lluc Monestary accomodation all has private bathrooms and central heating. Rooms are indeed Spartan, but pleasant. Ive stayed there and also sent a number of clients there - they are great for a day or so but not more. Its only a "must stay" if you want, for example, to do the whole cami vell de Pollenca hike. Bigger issue is that the gates close at 9pm. Cas Amitger restaurant is great, as is Es Guix, although you can no longer swim in the natural pool there. Booking info:

http://www.lluc.net/eng/ahostatg.html

Randa is also definately worth a look, especially as Reco de Randa is pretty good for food. You can also book a self catering room at the old Hermitage de Santa Magdalena - amazing views, right in the middle of the island, with a nice restaurant at the peak - only downside is families book for the weekend so its actually pretty noisy and booked up weekends.

PM me if you want the guys phone number.

Finally some guests of mine stayed at Hermitage de Maria in Pollenca and said it was really great but "very basic"

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monastery accommodation

Haven't stayed at any of the monasteries, but the one at San Salvador is a newish development and looks excellent.

Edinburgh, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monastery accommodation

Thank you all for that information - maybe a monastery stay is back on after all.

Now I just need to work out where I can get hold of a suitably itchy cassock!

8. Re: Monastery accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 15:17