We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in February

Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in February

We have just managed to get some great flights for a 2 night break in February. Can anyone recommend where is nice to stay that will be open in Feb. We are a young couple (leaving daughter with grandma!) and just want some good food, a couple of drinks with somewhere to wander round in the day. We are probably looking to use public transport rather than taxis to keep costs down. Was thinking of Santa Ponsa. Have been to Magaluff in my younger days and don't fancy that kind of place.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in February

I think wherever you go it will be quiet in February. I would suggest that Palma is your best bet. I think that these days Santa Ponsa is "that kind of place" too.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in February

Santa Ponsa is 'that kind of place' in Summer and totally dead in Winter. Forget it!

In February I would only suggest Palma City for anywhere with much life. Resort wise Palma Nova is probably the best option, (can highly recommend the Hotel Sol Cala Blanca), but even here will be quiet and most Winter guests are of the more mature variety.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
253 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in February

In februar is the time of the almond flowers and the center and west of Mallorca is full of these trees. Why you don´t go to a finca in these places? They offer a good prices in winter.

Soller it is also a good base to go to this places, just 20 minutes driving.

It is a nature espectale.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in February

Don´t think you would get a finca for just 2 nights - minimum let is usually a week.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
253 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in February

Well, in summer maby they don´t accept reserves less than a week of 5 days, but in winter, during the low season, I am sure that they will find something for 2 nights or even 1.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in February

I have just spent a long weekend in Santa Ponsa with my husband and we had a lovely time . It was nice and quiet , just lots of other couples and the locals . There were plenty of places open for us , obviously nothing like in the height of the season , but certainly plenty of choice . And the sun shone everyday ....just wish we could have stayed longer .

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in February

Finca can mean a house to rent (which you probably cant get for 2 nights) or a small rural hotel which your probably can.

As prev poster said, centre/west may be a good bet, for the Almond blossoms, which seem to be getting earlier ech year, but also because places like Soller (not so much port de Soller), Inca, Selva are real towns, not tourist enclaves, and so are still "open" throughout the winter.

Of couse, as will all things, each to his own....and frankly, for good food, using public transport, you are probably limited to Palma or perhaps, just perhaps, Deia

notts
Level Contributor
232 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in February

weve been 3 times in april to palma city,stayed at costa azul on harbour,fantastic views,great food,catch the aerport bus no 1 only costs a couple of euros and drops you off at almost the door

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in February

Sky

Don't know when you went to Magaluf, but if you don't fancy "that kind of place" it almost certainly wasn't in February! Early season in Magaluf has become a 2nd home for thousands (and I mean thousands) of Spanish Pensionistas who come, particularly in February and March on Government assisted holidays.

Santa Ponca will still be dead in February (as it is now)and if you are looking for any sort of life, then I would suggest either Palma Nova, where there are still a few Hotels open, and therefore a few shops / Bars / Restaurants or Palma itself.

Hope this helps.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in February

I have to disagree about Santa Ponsa being dead , after just coming back from there . All the supermarkets were open , plus quite a lot of the other shops . The Rising Sun , The Crown and the Kensington are English bars which are open all year round .

As for eating out there are a couple of Indians open , Rafters , Cafe ok , Maisen de Ray and Mer , a Vincis and my very favourite , Amadeus and others I don't know the name of . Along the sea front , there was Pagoda (sp?) and the Russian restaurant and the weather was nice enough to sit by the sea.

And the couple who run Teazers ( cafe ) mentioned a couple of places on the other side of the bay which were open until 4 in the morning , if you fancy a late night .

So all in all there was plenty to do and I actually preferred it to the high season .

A couple of friends and I went last year in february and really enjoyed it , we were very fortunate with the weather and we have already booked our flights for March next year . We stayed in an apartment not a hotel , so didn't get to see all the Spanish pensioners that have been mentioned