We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Can anyone recommend a 4/5 star hotel in Palma for a weekend break around 24th October 2009.

We would like something fairly central.

We are conversant with the Island having stayed many times in Pollenca but have never stayed in Palma.

We have visited Palma for a day some twenty years ago when we stayed at the Villa Mil in Paguera.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Hotel Athena Palace on Paseo Maritimo.Well priced upper 4*.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Thanks WirralScouse,

I will take a look at that.

As a matter of interest who do you recommend to book through for a City break - we would also need flights from Manchester.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Hi Keith. If you must book an all-in package, as per their brochure Summer Sun, to Majorca then Thomson do Fri-Mon or Mon-Fri until the end of their summer season (usually end of October) and they fly from Manchester to PMI.Of course this is the easy way of doing it and particularly the elderly feel reassured with a package rather than putting their own package together.It is undeniably convenient and if you appreciate having a Thomson Rep available that is how to acquire one!

But it really is easy and appreciably cheaper to put your own package together particularly to an easy destination like Palma.The one weakness is that putting the components together yourself excludes you from ATOL/ABTA bonding so you need to be aware of that.

I think you know I am a regular in Majorca and I too fly from Manc. The overall saving you make by DIY is mainly on the flights. Thomson packages always use Thomson Airways (formed from the merger of Thomsonfly and First Choice Airlines)from Manc to PMI. Their flight prices built into the package price are fixed for the season so that the prices can be printed in the brochures. Therefore savings from early bookings and/or no frills airlines are not possible that way.

This what I recommend, it is also what I do.Decide on your dates then check the prices on the websites of flymonarch and bmibaby both no-frills both with frequent summer season flights to Palma (PMI).Book as early as possible to get the best price.Don't automatically book outward and return with the same airline.It may be cheaper overall/or more convenient flight times for you to travel out with one and return with the other.(There is only one airport at Palma-and what a delight it is,as airports go! so Monarch and bmi baby use the same facility).

Next select your preferred accommodation.I use the websites of Travel Republic and Thomsonholidays- accommodation-only although there is an endless list to choose from including hotels.com,expedia (who own TripAdvisor).This year I see Thomson accommodation-only prices for Majorca are nowhere near as competitive as previously.It may also be worth checking direct with your preferred hotel as they often have special deals eg 4 nights for price of 3 out of season,which late October is.

The final component (ignoring travel insurance which is assumed) is the transfer.Couldn't be easier for Palma.15 minutes in a cab to Paseo Maritimo or there is a reliable bus service from outside the Terminal Building into City Centre, fare E1.10.If you want me to tell you how to find the airport bus stop send me a PM.

Do let us know how you get on.And I wish you a great weekend in Palma which is an ideal short break destination.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

It depends on your budget and whether you prefer a traditional style or boutique style hotel.

Have a look at these two hotels

http://www.daltmurada.com/ingles/index.asp

http://www.santaclarahotel.es/

They are both in the heart of the old town which would be yo choice of areas to stay.

I have stayed at the Dalt Murada and loved it. The Santa Clara looks great, is only recently opened and is reasonably priced.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Just had a look at Santa Clara rates and they seem to have gone up considerably since I last looked. They advertise rooms from 139 euros but that is in low season. Late October is 230 euros

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Hi WirralScouse,

Thank you for the time and effort in the detailed posting which is very much appreciated.

I have done a quick overview of the various scenarios re hotels and flights but as my wife and I are taking our 14 year old granddaughter with us (as she will be taking Spanish at GCSE next school year) and we don’t know yet exactly whether school breaks up on Friday the 23rd or earlier in the week I can’t make a booking until we know for certain.

I have taken a look at the Athena Palace and the location and description etc is fine.

I also saw the Melia Victoria in the same area which is more expensive as it is a 5 Star.

Do you know whether it is worth the difference?

I also have taken a look at flights on Travel Republic and Travel Supermarket and will take a look at the Jet2 & Monarch on line flight sites.

We regularly hire a Villa in Pollenca each year so I have booked Flights to Palma previously but usually through RBS Travel Services.

I did book online with Monarch for Palma a couple of years ago and everything was fine.

I am a little wary of how I book because on the 11th September 2009 I booked XL flights for Palma for 4th October & Excel went down at Midnight the same day but I am covered by ATOL with RBS.

Claims take a long time because even though I submitted the claim with full documentation on 16th September I am still waiting for the refund.

We booked Monarch flights in place of the XL again with RBS

I will let you know how we fare with our planned trip to Palma.

Regards,

Keith

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Thanks Hazer,

I will take a look at the hotel links.

Regards,

Keith

alcudia
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

hi,

i have stayed in the hotel tres several times and i was highly impressed,

its right in the centre of things and i think well priced.

im not sure if you can book it on any hotel websites as ive allways called them direct.

i liked it because it was modern , unimposing and quiet. the website is hoteltres.com

have a nice time, wherever you go

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Sorry you suffered from the XL collapse.I can understand your concern about forward booking. There are a few doubts about bmi at present (the previous owner Michael Bishop has sold out and I don't think the new owners are quite coping-they certainly need a good PR company to enhance their image).Are you by nature a cautious individual? This comes across in your postings.

I don't want to preach.Forgive me.But anybody who didn't take a risk didn't get a good deal in DIY.Your grand daughter is an extra factor.How are you going to keep her entertained? Haven't stayed at Victoria but from the outside it looks posh. Have stayed at Athena Palace-very impressed. The Real Mallorca football team where using it as their base so it must have been good-then. There is a disco at Victoria-we saw all the beautiful people arriving by limo etc. It is very near Athena Palace just along Paseo Maritimo.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommend needed for a 4/5 star Hotel in Palma

Thanks infomallorca,

Will take a look at the links.

Regards, Keith.