We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to give Mallorca a miss?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Time to give Mallorca a miss?

My wife and I simply adore Mallorca, we've been going now for the last 7 years, usually in June but twice last year when we did September too.

The prices though are now getting out of hand, we like to hire a car, last year we paid less than 200 euros, this year it's 500 plus, we stay in private apartments, the prices have doubled in the past three years. I paid 700 euros for a week in an apartment in Portals 5 years ago, the same one is now 1500 euros!

I reckon it will cost me nearly £3,000 for my accommodation, car and flights for 2 weeks, before I calculate food, drinks etc., add that and we're looking at in excess of £4,500.

Restaurants seem to increase their prices outrageously year after year, drinks prices seem sky high too.

We are fortunate that we can afford it, but i don't like the idea of being fleeced, so on principle we are looking elsewhere.

I can get a 2 week cruise around the Med with all my food paid for for less than my usual 2 weeks in Mallorca will cost.

I think we may well go for that, with just a long weekend in Palma only.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

Mark.

Sorry to hear you are a bit fed up, and at the prices you quote I'm not surprised, which combined with an under-achieving pound make life expensive.

However, there are apartments much cheaper than this, for example in Colonia Sant Jordi, you can get an excellent 3-bed well-furnished apartment with all mod cons for 450 euros a week.

Car hire prices were ridiculous in August last year, but my local man assures me that this will not be repeated this year.

Enjoy your cruise, I'm sure you'll be back.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

i am sad to hear a loyal mallorca fan has now given up on the island but like i said over 2 years ago more will follow suit unless all the ppl get their act together in mallorca.i think mark you like the upper end of the mallorca market and that has suffered has well .like peter says there is cheaper options availble but even in magaluf palma nova they are getting harder to find every year .i know a apartment at the bottom of palma nova with good seaviews that is being rented out and even in low season its £500 per week going up to £900 in hight of season 5 year ago it was £300 low £450 high .the car hire problem was given many excuses but what i did was put ppl in touch with a local car hire run by ex pats who didnt rip ppl off and i got many tourists a great deal ,who will now give the said company repeat buisness.

i do hope you havent abondoned mallorca for good mark but like others before you you may try somewhere different and find the paradise that keeps you going back time after time

moocher

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

I don't think you are alone in thinking along these lines mark.As well as being a big fan of Majorca like you I enjoy cruises and have just returned from our 3rd this year (like you we are comfortably placed financially).I have also been to Majorca twice this year.Whatever one's financial situation nobody likes to be fleeced.

Another big plus for us is the price-included entertainment on board as we enjoy live music ,dance shows and comedians.You can't get that quality of entertainment night after night in Majorca-not even in Benidorm.And because the ship buys its drinks tax-free, even with their mark-up the price you pay including the compulsory 15% tip is still only at UK lounge bar prices and larger measures for spirits.Pricewise cruising compares very favourably.

Perhaps you are looking at 2 week-long successive cruises out of Palma on Thomson Dream, the new addition to their fleet of leased ships-it's not a new ship though.If so you can rely on getting excellent value for money and entertainment IMO.

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

Firstly, I work in tourism here so my post will be biased.

I think the point is generally right, but there are a couple of things people should bear in mind.

1) What do you want? When? If your ideal holiday is a week with 40 degree temperatures, sun, sea & sangria, its quite possible there are better all inclusive options than Mallorca, I dont really know.

However, if you are looking for a bit of balance, recharge the batteries, a few trips, bit of sightseeing, shopping etc, out of season breaks (weve just had about 20 days of straight sunshine till today, 5th Nov), last minute trips, long weekends etc can still offer much better vfm. For example, the car hire "price gouging" by all of the companies this year, was only for about six weeks of this season (the peak) - the rest of the time prices were generally reasonable.

2) Where do you want to be? If you want to be as close to the beach as possible, great, (although imho most "sea views" here also include views of the bins of a couple of beach restaurants, maybe a couple of parking lots, the odd major road and your 250 nearest neighbours) but if its not that important to you, come away from the traditional Brit enclaves, and you will find many more options 15, 20 mins away from the sea which MAY offer much more for much less, and the food is certainly going to be better! Like I say, horses for courses and I admit my bias, but Mallorca has done a lot in the last 10 years to improve this offering.

3) Where do you find it? There are many internet sites where you can find lower prices and forums like this are sometimes invaluable (cant tell you how many times Ive plugged the two small car hire companies I use who did NOT triple their prices, nor did they apply the ridiculous full/empty surcharge this year).

Also, think about from the hotels/hourse renters point of view. Whilst some are contractually bound to put cheaper prices on internet sites, it cant hurt to try and talk direct, can it? Shop around and make a deal - sometimes its not easy to get to talk to the real owner of some of these properties, but once again a good internet seach can be invaluable.

4) The exchange rate will get better! At the risk of putting my head into the lions mouth with so many brilliant currency arbitragists on this forum (!), the exchange rate will have to improve as been caused by some specific policy decisions by the European Central bank keeping a very tight hold on inflation, hence making the Euro an artificially strong currency. Dont take my word for it, go to the FT, seach for Euro Currency Exchange and read..

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,904 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

In the 60/70s Spain was cheap, Brits left their coastlines for the better weather and cheaper drinks and Mallorca became a Jewel in the crown for Brits with its friendly people and lovely resorts. Last year I went back (chosing PP) having been taking holidays for some time on the Greek Islands . I was surprised to see 11 euros for beds and Umbrella in PP thats £140 just to sit on the beach for 14 days (lucky it rained alot), its just half that price in Crete. Two meals and wine in PP around 35 euros similar meals with wine in Crete around 20 euros. The Pound was weak then and has got weaker since and I can't see it getting better. A cheap trip to Palma on the bus resulted in a restaurant with a reasonably price menu (not showing drink prices) charging me 6 euros for a beer.

People having to watch their pennies will vote with their feet, already people are picking Turkey as it is not affected by the Euro. Once they find Mallorca is not the centre of the world they may not come back.

A lot of people rely on the tour companies to get reasonable accomodation

and sometimes they fail their customers. Picking accommodation on the internet with reliable companies does not always match up with expectations either as we have read a number of times recently.

Yes good accom is out there but it becomes a lottery if you do not know the background of the place.

It Greece for me

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

Have to agree with Delboy. We had a visit to Puerto de Pollenca at the end of September, after many years away from (most) of Spain, and found very little to make us return (trip report in PP forum). You can still get value for money, which is all I ask, in many parts of Greece especially our favourite the Peloponnese. With the exception of Puerto de Mogan in Gran Canaria we will be "voting with our feet" and spending our money in Greece next year.

7. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 November 2009, 17:05
South Shields, Tyne...
Level Contributor
363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

My friend works at a travel agents and told me that people have been booking for Turkey, my friends that I normally go to Majorca with have booked for Sham El Sheik next year,we have been going with them evry year for about 7 years,it is a shame and Ive said in other posts that Majorca is pricing itself out the market.We went to Alcudia in the summer which had ridiculous prices and I defo wouldn't go back there,,but went to Palma Nova/Magaluf in October and found that there was deals to be done and many cheap bars still if you hunted around.

I love Majorca and would hate for it to die and turn into a ghost town but they must realise what they are doing. They are all doing it the wrong way by squeezing as much as possible out of the tourists, they mustn't realise that word gets around, the accommodation prices are getting stupid now in the summer, especially for families with kids in the 6 week holidays. I hope its not to late for a turn around.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

Some interesting and varied points of view, certainly what has been happening is people are paying the prices and filling the accommodation, bars and restaurants so owners think "I can charge more next time", and they keep doing it until the traffic starts to slow down then they think "Crikey, better hold my prices now"

We had a week in Marbella in September, which is not cheap by any means, but accommodation prices were half what they charge in Mallorca.

The euro is certainly having an effect, but the owners of these places are not taking that in to consideration when they set their prices, my advice is they better start thinking about doing just that, because once that tide turns it's a lot harder to attract people back when they have found another place where prices are reasonable.

I believe Mallorca had a poor summer in terms of visitor numbers, I hope they start to address this situation quickly, it would be a shame if not, it's a special place to us.

South Shields, Tyne...
Level Contributor
363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time to give Mallorca a miss?

We have had similar problems in our town with bar owners, South Shields was always a brilliant cheap night out with all its bars and clubs dotted around ,Newcastle 14 miles up the road was somewhere you saved up for, Shields was buzzing all the time but then they started thinking if Newcastle can charge then so can we, the prices started rising rapidly at the beginning of 2000 ,then people started thinking well if where paying that we may as well go to Newcastle, the taxi drivers saw what was going to happen and we put a block on pay rises since 2007 the fuel insurance and council fees have gone through the roof but we still haven't put in for a pay rise,Ive had a meeting with all the bar owners who said it had nothing to do with the prices and it was just the way things are at the moment, I asked if they had asked there customers which the reply was no, I said I have asked and the biggest problem is cost, they have all started dropping there prices now but I fear its to little to late, it will take a while for recovery.

Majorca take this into account, people have always gone to Spain because of the sun and the good value for money ,our money went further than back home that's why tourism in the UK was very low, my friend who is a travel agent said tourism in the UK has risen and Spain is down in a big way, there is another company gone bust in South Shields they used to deal with golfing holidays in Spain ,they have no work . The other problem is when you walk into a bar that is empty it has no atmosphere which makes people walk away because of this all we ever hear from our customers is Shields is sxxt.

PLEASE GET IT SORTED DROPPING PRICES IS BETTER FOR YOUR ECONOMY IN THE LONG RUN INSTEAD OF A QIUCK BUCK NOW