We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Flights To Mallorca

Cala dOr
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Winter Flights To Mallorca

As regular all year visitors to Mallorca we have just today become quite alarmed at the lack of flights to the island this winter.

It would appear to be especially hard if you are one of the regulars thats just visits for a few days at a time.

Do you know of of flights that are good for weekend visits ? and even more so from the regional airports.

Lets keep the island alive in the winter !

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

What affects us is Monarch Scheduled not flying between Manchester and Palma this winter and bmibaby have just announced they will not be either.But thankfully all is not lost as from Liverpool to PMI easyjet fly 4 times a week and Ryanair twice a week.But although it is therefore possible to arrange flights for short trips during the winter the options have been significantly reduced.One nail in the coffin was TUI Group cancelling at short notice their winter programme in Majorca last mid-winter.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

Hi Caladormallorca,

As wirrelscouse stated liverpool is a good choice if you live in the north of england, easyjet have cancelled my flights from Newcastle over the winter for the second year running so i am flying from Liverpool in december & january.

They done the same thing last year in cancelling my flights twice so i had to travel from stansted which is a tiring journey after finishing work.

best regards

45 mac

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

W.S......I'm worried !!....you say bmibaby have announced no flights from Manchester-Palma this winter? I have booked for March but have not heard anything. Flights are also still showing as available..any updates please?

Many thanks

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

Easyjet cancelled from Luton and East Midlands too

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

There are no direct flights at all to Palma from either Luton or Heathrow during the winter.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

Lufthansa the owners of bmibaby announced yesterday that pilots,other aircrew and managers based at some UK airports including MAN are to be made redundant and they are reducing their aircraft fleet from 17 to 12.Many routes from Manchester are to be closed and their UK centre of operations will be East Midlands EMA.I received an e-mail from them yesterday, as a previous Manchester customer, advertising price cuts on their programme from MAN. Palma was not included but you are correct the flights are still on their website.

It is still very early in the closures programme but the chances are you will be offered a switch to EMA flights.Customers will be the last to know.

Lufthansa tried unsuccessfully to sell bmibaby but there were no takers-hence these cutbacks.Don't count on bmibaby still being owned by Lufthansa in 4 months time or even still being in business.Don't lose sleep over it but be prepared for inconvenience.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,395 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

The only direct flight from Cardiff to Palma starts from the 3rd April 2010 every Saturday with Thomson’s. There is more choice from Bristol, have a look at the following link for further information :-

bristolairport.co.uk/flight-information/…

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

BEEECH.I see you live in Solihull so if it does turn out your flights are switched to EMA it won't affect you overmuch.I suspect EMA are making major concessions to attract more business from more airlines because as well as bmibaby who are focussing on EMA Ryanair have already announced a switch of their Manchester operation to EMA.Re the previous reply about Thomson flights from Cardiff and Bristol all airlines will be geared up for flights to Majorca from Spring 2010 and summer season.And so far on this thread we have been talking about scheduled flights.

Last winter easyJet did reduce their Majorca flights from Liverpool from a daily service but at least they did not pull out completely.And with fewer choices prices were relatively high during the winter. So I am not totally confident I will be able to fly with them to Majorca this winter-and 7am flights are a pain!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

W.S....... thank you SO much for reply..I'm very impressed you noted i'm from solihull...I tried to get flights from b'ham...( 10 mins from home ) wasn't to be...manchester was nearest to my requirements....as you say ..east mids wont be a problem... I know you you don like early morn flights..I dont care what time i fly...I'm on my hols....! thanks again x

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter Flights To Mallorca

Until 2003 I lived in Leicester and EMA was my nearest international airport.I used EMA weekly for business flights to Edinburgh and it was very convenient.One blessing is the car parks aren't miles away from the terminal.I hope they have expanded the passenger facilities since then because they were not at all spacious.