We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

Hi just wondering how to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca travelling with my wife and three children

would hire a car but have never driven abroad before.How much would a taxi cost.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

Taxi about 80 euros each way could be a bit less.With 3 kids I wouldn't recommend a shared shuttle as you could be waiting for the minibus to fill up and all you want is to get the family to your digs asap.I do hire a car in Majorca but I agree the first time is a bit scary.However as the controls are on the left of the car it all comes together surprisingly quickly.But,and I don't want to be alarmist,as soon as you have picked up your car to get to PP you are on one the busiest and fastest roads in Majorca (motorway) so it is not an easy initiation.And the Via Cintura ring road is not an easy route to follow.But if you do decide to go for a hire car come back on here for directions.

For peace of mind and especially with the family in tow go for the taxi.After all with 5 of you the cost per head is not too bad.No need to pre-book although you can.

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply, we are travelling in May and taxi looks like our best option, just wondering would their be plenty of taxis at the airport and would they take 5 people.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

Good point as most car taxis are only registered for 4 pax.There are always dozens of taxis waiting at the airport but on reflection you may be better booking in advance for 5 pax especially if you need child/baby seats.You could get a quote from

www.majorca-airport-transfers.com

or

www.janerbus.com/en who get excellent reviews on TA.

Edited: 05 January 2010, 21:52
Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

Any time I have caught a taxi from Palma airport there has always been quite a few waiting to pick people up and of those I would say a about a third of them were people carriers/minibus type vehicles. Last year there was an attendant allocating the taxis and anyone needing more than 4 seats was allocated the first available one in the queue.

I have hired cars for many years now and never really give it any thought but I do remember the first time I did and it was somewhat intimidating. As Wirral says you do pick it up very quickly and in my opinion Mallorca is an ideal place for your first go at driving abroad, I have found the drivers to be disciplined and reasonably laid back. I have used satellite navigation for a few years now and it just takes 90% of the hassle out of driving abroad. I would say that finding your way out of Palma and heading to Puerto Pollenca is not that difficult but with Sat Nav really couldn't be easier.

Depending on the length of your stay it can work out cheaper hiring a car than booking taxi transfers although the cost of car hire has been a bit unpredictable since spring last year when prices shot up due to a lack of availability. I reckon you could hire a car for the same cost as taxi transfers -160 euros if you book well in advance. If you do hire a car it gives you so much freedom and the North of Mallorca is very car friendly.

Edited: 06 January 2010, 08:42
Mentioned in this post
Palma Suites
Palma Suites
352 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Pollenca
Pollenca
Majorca, Spain
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,825 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

Hi - if you do hire a car from Palma airport itself, you will find the following linked intructions useful.

http://www.puertopollensa.com/Arriving.html

That's the route I now take.

It's been available only for the past few years since they linked the MA-30 to the MA-13 hence cutting out all the hassle of the Via Cintura that WirralScouse has (rightly) mentioned. I find that new route a much easier drive and doesn't seem to take any longer.

Mentioned in this post
Palma Suites
Palma Suites
352 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

joe don't you just marvel at the combined advice you get on this forum? Hayzer with the satnav (and i used mine with European mapping on a motoring holiday in Provence-couldn't have coped without it) and KWUK who knows the north of Majorca very well.I must try that link of the 2 MAs as even I find the old route a challenge after many years.Once I am driving past the Real Mallorca football stadium I know I am en route.

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
7. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 22:05
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

There are a number of 7 seater taxis available, but you may have to wait for one unless you pre order it from one of the reputable transfer companies, and not one who has 5 forum posts within days on various unrelated forums, hmmmmm

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,825 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

Hi WirralScouse - yes it's worth trying that "new" route on your next visit.

Also on the return trip south from PP to the airport (if my memory is right from last two visits) that "new" route is exactly what is signposted for the southbound airport traffic. You exit the MA13 motorway (as signed aeropuerto) - just after passing Santa Maria area. I've noticed that it is mainly cars that use that exit, whereas the coaches continue on and "bully" their way round the Via Cintura to the airport

10. Re: The best way to get from palma airport to puerto pollenca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 11:35