We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Holidays ?

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Holidays ?

It never fails to surprise me when people are looking for recommendations they invariably list a beach near the top of their priority list. It has never really been that important to me. I can see why parents with children would want a beach but to be honest I just don't see the attraction myself. Maybe it is because I have lived close to the sea for most of my life with access to great beaches.

Generally when we have stayed in a "resort" we use the facilities at the hotel for swimming and sunbathing, I cant see what is so appealing about flocking to a crowded beach.

We have been to Mallorca in June for a couple of weeks these last 3 years and we haven't stayed in a beach resort yet.

I am not in no way criticising here I am just curious to know why people place such importance on a beach ?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Holidays ?

Hayzer, I too was brought up close to the sea, and now live in Cornwall, where you are never more than a few miles from the sea, but I still love the beach. I go to a beach I would estimate every other day on my holiday, and I love to swim in the sea. There is nothing like the breeze coming from the sea on a hot day to cool you down, and it's the whole experience for me, sand in your shoes, cooling down in the sea, people watching. I also love the beach in winter, and that is the time I visit Cornish beaches the most. I also sunbathe around the hotel pool when we stay there, and enjoy it, but to be honest I find that more stressful than a crowded beach when there are a lot of children running round as there isn't as much room.

And call me mad, but I have to have a sunbed and parasol, no matter what the cost. Think that goes back to my childhood when only the adults were allowed a deck chair and us children had to sit in the sand, couldn't wait for the time to come when I was allowed my own deck chair!

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Holidays ?

Hi Annabelle

Can't argue with that :-)

I do try to select small quiet hotels so that I can have peace and quiet when I sunbathe although you can never guarantee it.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Holidays ?

Spot-on Annabelle.So it costs 11 euros for a sunbed and parasol per day on the beach.Why not? You are on holiday. If you can afford it take it.Trouble is many people on this forum are wanting to holiday on a shoestring and I can understand that.So what might be an acceptable holiday expense to us will be a wasteful extravagance to others. Sorry to say it's all down to affordability.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Holidays ?

I too love the beach.I live in a small seaside/fishing village & when i am on holidays a beach is very important as is the sunbed & parasol !!!

Our son loves the pool so there is always a big fuss when we decide to go to the beach !

5. Re: Beach Holidays ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2010, 07:17