We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

villages in the interior

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
villages in the interior

We are coming to Pollenca next week for 6 nights. In previous visits, we have only explored the area of the Serra de Tramuntana. We love the old, traditional villages like Valdemossa, Fornalutx, Soller and Pollenca and do not like modern, purpose built tourist resorts.

It would be nice to visit other areas, including the interior, south or east of the island. Can anybody recommend any villages like the aforementioned in other areas?

Also, we have heard that there are some lovely fishing villages near Cala d'Or, like Portopetro, Cala Figuera, Cala Mondrago. Are these traditional, working ports or tourist resorts?

Many thanks.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: villages in the interior

You can't lump the 3 towns you mentioned together.I would hesitate to call them villages.Porto Petro is just lovely.I was there last 2 years ago during a leisurely recce of the coastal towns up the East Coast by hire car.Some recent expansion of the waterfront was evident and some newly converted coffee bars/restaurants/wine bars.No tat at all.Most foreign visitors (myself excluded) were German and the wine bar we went to for lunch right on the waterfront was very busy probably because people had taken shelter from the thundery showers.Interestingly 2 tables were occupied for lunch by German males playing cards.I drove over the headland opposite the town to see the newer residential properties of variable quality.

Cala Figuera.Very attractive with a charming "creek".Authentic and not full-on touristy even though it gets many visitors who like to be away from the busier resorts in a small seaside town with character.Some expensive boutiques/shops on the front.

Cala Mondrago.Stunningly beautiful beaches on the edge of the forest Nature Reserve.Sandy beaches and rocks to clamber along to access the small coves.No village as such just a couple of small Pensions and beach bars literally on the beach.Quite expensive car parking (though not as expensive as Es Trenc near Colonia Sant Jordi which is whitehorsepeter's territory).Cala Mondrago is one of my personal favourite coves in Majorca.

I was impressed with Colonia Sant Jordi which is clean and well maintained.Quite busy but not at all brash with some town beaches and a nice marina.Again mostly German and Dutch.Peter can give you his opinions as a resident.Es Trenc is a drive away from CSJ.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: villages in the interior

Many thanks WS. Do you know of any nice villages in the interior of the island? Is Sineu worth a visit? If the weather is nice (fingers crossed) we probably won't venture far from Pollenca, but we might hire a car for the day and do a bit of exploring if it's unsettled.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: villages in the interior

Sineu has a traditional market on Wednesdays which is somewhat different from most of the other markets, being more of an agricultural one.

Colonia Sant Jordi, as WS says, is a pleasant town with a nice harbour and glorious beaches all around, including the Es Trenc. Also has an "aquarium" based on the life around Cabrera island, just a few miles off the coast. Entrance is free and is well worth a visit.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: villages in the interior

B&PT.From Pollenca you will certainly need a car to see the towns you mentioned and Sineu (although haven't been there myself).No I am no good on the interior of Majorca.I have been to Sa Pobla,Son Servera and Manacor but they are towns and not recommended.Arta is worth seeing,unspoiled,got quite trendy in recent years,castle on top of the hill which you can get to by car.

Thought your original post was a serious enquiry not just a possibility if the weather is poor.Wishing you good weather but next week you could end up hiring a car after all.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: villages in the interior

It was a serious enquiry - for if the weather is unsettled!

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: villages in the interior

This ones really got me thinking. Many of the villages in the interior, especially across El Pla and Es Raiguer are unspoiled and maintain their traditional appeal, but few have the "chocolate box" order and location of, fe, fornalutx. They tend to be very hidden, and only really come out for the fiestas...

Having said that, some ideas include:

Orient valley, but you probably already know that one...

Arta (already mentioned), Petra, St Joan and Villafranca in the east/south, dont go much further SE than that as Campos, Santanyi and Llucmajor all look like something out of a Spaghetti Western

Round by me I like Buger, Selvas OK and my home town of Caimari has a nice plaza, but honestly if youre looking for wet weather plan why not combine these with some things to do - most include eating! Ether visit one, or more than one, of the Sanctuaries like Randa, San Salvdor or my favourite, Santa Magdalena near Inca. Algaida is a bit of an eating heaven, with Cal Dimoni, es 4 vents and another great restaurant in this unremarkable town. Buger is near to the glass factory on the old INCA/Campanet road, where there is also a buffet, and Caimari to Selva has an oil mill with a few interesting food products to buy - theres also a bigger one on the Inca-Llubi road .

As for working ports - Soller, Alcudia and Palma are the only REAL working ports and a working port is not a pretty port!

7. Re: villages in the interior

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2010, 05:18