We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

I hope someone can give me some advice on this...

Booked a holiday to Majorca with monarchholidays.co.uk back in Dec 09. We are going to the Marina Portals in Portal Nous for 1 week dep 26th Aug ex Manchester. I booked early believing we would get a great price. BIG MISTAKE!

The price was £1290 for 2xadults and 1 child (3yrs). I paid £150 deposit so still owe £1140 (due 8 weeks before we fly). However, they are now selling this holiday for £1040. This is with no discount, so special promotion etc (it even says discount included £0 when you cost it).

So, even after paying £150 I still owe more than the selling price of the holiday now. I rang Monarch to ask about their price guarantee, but they basically said "hard luck, prices change". They even agreed that we would be better off cancelling, loosing our £150 deposit and rebooking the exact same holiday again, which is just madness.

I accept prices can go down, but by 17% when its still so far away?! Its not even like its a last minute bargain. I booked early to secure this holiday, gave Monarch £150 of my money and I now wish i hadn't bothered!

Has anyone had a similar problem or thoughts on how I can tackle this? I would like a better price for Monarch of I think I will take their advice and cancel it. I just wont be re-booking with them!

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,852 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

Hi Loopyloo

In my opinion

I think your only hope is to try and negotiate with Monarch which I believe you have already tried. Monarch along with other Tour companies can produce new brochures or change internet prices at anytime.

Unfortunately with the current climate I assume they have obviously had to reduce their prices of certain holidays to sell them.

Recently I believe, Ryan air have reduced their plane seats on some flights but those that have already booked have to accept the price that they have already paid.

If they offer to cancel your holiday with just the loss of your deposit and allow you to re-book you will, as I understand, save £100 on your original price. If you find that this holiday price is still better than others you might regret not taking it but remember that doesn’t mean that the current price will stay the same for the rest of the year.

Just like house prices

Mallorca
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

Check out the terms and conditions on the following webpage, as I believe you have a good chance of receiving the new lower price for your holiday:-

http://holidays.monarch.co.uk/popup/terms

Your first point of contact should be the person you booked the holiday through.

Please show them the Terms and Conditions, and post their response here.

Good luck.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

You have been unlucky but this situation is not unheard of.Some people who want to holiday at peak periods and want to be sure of getting the hotel they prefer and the flights that suit them best book really early as you did.The tour operators/hoteliers know this.For instance the likes of Thomson will have released their package prices for Summer 2010 around September 2009 and they hope to pick up the early bookers who will pay top whack to get exactly what they want.

But the major booking period for summer holidays is January immediately after New Year and that is when lower prices come in because the competition for customers becomes more intense.You have only recently checked the prices of your choice against what you paid but I'll wager that the prices in January were very little different from what they are now.

In future rather than book flights and accommodation simultaneously with and via an airline you might find greater flexibility by booking your flights-only as early as you can to secure them and then book your accommodation later with the likes of TravelRepublic or hotels.com.

It could have gone the other way.Eg the price you have guaranteed by booking early will appear to be a bargain compared to what the price for the same deal will be say during June or July.Console yourself with that thought.Pricing is accurate,timing is the gamble.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,852 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

Having read their terms and conditions I believe SimplyMallorca is right

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

thanks for your advice everyone... I am still a bit unsure of how to proceed. Maybe I will just have to grim and bear it. I read through the terms and conditions whilst on the phone to Monarch. They seemed to seize on the fact that in the first line of their pricing policy it says "We reserve the right to change prices from time to time". They said they would only give me a discount if their costs fell. I asked if their costs had fallen, allowing them to discount the holiday by 17% and they said no, they had not. As I mentioned, the best solution they had was for me to cancel and re-book!

I just dont feel comfortable giving them £1150 on top of what I have already paid for a holiday thats now just £1040. I will ring them again though and try to negotiate again. I will post their response.

As I am considering cancelling I have been having a look round for other holidays. Onthebeach.co.uk have some good prices for alternative hotels but as we are going to a wedding at Illetas we need to be around the Portals Nous area (Illetas itself is too expensive for our budget). We have a 3 year old so need somewhere with a bit going on, so if anyone has any ideas or reccomendations please let me know.

Mallorca
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

I thought there was a possibility they would say that their costs hadn't fallen, but it would be difficult for a travel company to pass on this level of discount unless their costs had fallen.

What they are suggesting, to cancel and re-book doesn't seem fair or right. I would call the Consumer Direct Advice Line of the Office of Fair Trading, and see what advice they can give you: 08454 04 05 06

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,852 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

I suppose if one booked now at the current price and it went back to the full price and Monarch bill you for the higher price you would be equally angry.

Loopyloo

If after speaking to trading standards and the outcome is not favourable, still try and negotiate with Monarch as best you can.

Good luck

London, England
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

I have to agree with the answer from WirralScouse.

Tour Operators will always encourage early boooking so that they have cash flow. Ten, twenty, thirty years ago the Tour Ops would have encouraged early bookers with discounts, but not any more. It is a very cutthroat business.

These days I would always wait a while and keep an eye on prices. I have recently booked a 5 star hotel in Luxor for £285pp for 7 nts. The same holiday is currently on sale at £420pp.

I have had many very cheap flights with Ryanair and Easyjet, but equally I have waited too long to book and the prices have considerably increased.

I think you are just going to have to bite the bullet on this one. If Monarch had inreased the price of the holiday after you had booked it, would you have been willing to pay the increase?

I think it is a case of 'some you win, some you lose'. If I was you, I would put it to the back of my m ind and look forward to having a great holiday in Mallorca.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

Its really no different from buying anything, you pay what you are happy with to get the product you want and when you want it and if you see it in the sales reduced by 30% then so be it . You wouldn't expect to get a refund would you.

Hopefully you may get a rebate but I am sure you will enjoy your "product"

Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ripped off by Monarch Holidays?

Hayzer...................

Totally agree with what you say...............

This is the way the World is nowadays................whether shopping in Asda from one week ro the next..one week an offer on say Steak at £6 per pack,then the next week due to bad sales/weather,etc? the same product is at £3..

Were you happy with the price and choice when you bought it? Yes..

When you book upfront you know what you're getting GUARANTEED and at a price that you thought was a good one..............so happy days....

On a holiday for this year we paid £2,100 for it back in January and now it's £3,200 for the same holiday,so had I thought it might come down in price etc..I would have hung on and lost out big time.............but I am very happy aren't I?lol..lol..And if the price had dropped it would have made no difference as I was happy with the product and price when I booked it..

So swings and roundabouts I'm afraid and everything is down to market forces.............

So my advice to everyone is this.....If you like the price and product then book it!! As prices can fall and RISE as well...........

MANCHESTER-GOLFER