We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just starting to research and need some help

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Just starting to research and need some help

Hi Majorca experts,

I am starting to research for a trip to Majorca and have a few questions.

1. Which part of Majorca has the nicest beaches?

2. Is Majorca small enough to see the entire island in a week or is it much bigger than it looks?

3. Approximate driving times from Manacor to beach destinations would be helpful for my planning if you can provide them.

4. Any reccomendations on nicest 4-5 star resorts on the nicest beach??

5. Is it necessary to speak spanish or do most speak english at the hotel areas?

Thanks for all your help!

Edited: 31 July 2010, 15:48
Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Manacor
Manacor
80 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just starting to research and need some help

Hi Sunriz, I will try to answer some of your questions, and hopefully someone else will be along soon who can give more answers.

1 I am not familiar with the north of the island, but from reading on here, it seems that is where the best beaches are. But there are also lovely beaches in PalmaNova and Santa Ponsa. San Telm is a nice beach as well, in fact all over the island are nice beaches, you really can't go wrong.

2 Yes, you can easily see Majorca in a week but you will need a car to see a lot of the places

3 I am hopeless at driving times, but as a general rule, most places are reachable within an hour or so. I am wondering why you asked about Manacor though? From what I remember of it when I had a very (un)memorable stop at the Majorca Pearl outlet, it is an inland town, not very pretty which appeared to be quite industrial. If you were thinking of staying there, I would say think again, there are many nicer places to stay.

4 I willleave that oneto someone else!

5 English is widely spoken at all tourist destiantions, although most people will appreciate you speaking Spanish if possible, I find a few words (which is about all I can manage!) go down well.

Perhaps if you give us some idea of who will be travelling, ages, interests etc, we will be better able to advise you of the best places for you to see.

Have a great holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Palmanova
Palmanova
Majorca, Spain
Santa Ponsa
Santa Ponsa
Majorca, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Manacor
Manacor
80 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just starting to research and need some help

Full marks to Annabelle for her reply.

#4.Playa de Muro has a beautiful beach and there are some quality hotels (Caribbean-style) there.

My fave beach is Cala Mondrago but there are no 4/5 star hotels adjacent.Don't want to tread on anyone's toes but I had heard good things about Es Trenc beach but having tried it I wouldn't rate it any higher than "Good".

Mentioned in this post
Playa de Muro
Playa de Muro
Majorca, Spain
Cala Mondrago
Cala Mondrago
109 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Es Trenc
Es Trenc
4,109 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Mallorca
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just starting to research and need some help

1. Which part of Majorca has the nicest beaches?

The North. You can find beach info here: platgesdebalears.com/caplaibFront/…

2. Is Majorca small enough to see the entire island in a week or is it much bigger than it looks?

Yes, you can see it in a week if you want. You need to plan at least a day in Palma, a day to see Soller, Valldemossa and Deia, a day to see Alcudia, Pollensa and Formentor, perhaps a day on the East Coast (various caves, Porto Cristo, etc). And a couple of days resting and relaxing!. You also really need to see at least one of the markets, the more "town-y" the better.

3. Approximate driving times from Manacor to beach destinations would be helpful for my planning if you can provide them.

For example, from Manacor to the Porto Cristo beach it will take you about 15 mins. See here: platgesdebalears.com/caplaibFront/…

4. Any reccomendations on nicest 4-5 star resorts on the nicest beach??

I would recommend the North of the Island, in Playa de Muro. For example, you've got the 5 star Grupotel Park Natural right on the beach. Of course, it depends on your budget.

5. Is it necessary to speak spanish or do most speak english at the hotel areas?

No, in tourist resorts at least English is spoken. In some resorts, German, French and Italian is also spoken. If you go inland, to the towns, you will find that English is not widely spoken but don't let this put you off.

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Soller
Soller
Majorca, Spain
Valldemossa
Valldemossa
Majorca, Spain
Deia
Deia
Majorca, Spain
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Formentor
Formentor
Majorca, Spain
Porto Cristo
Porto Cristo
Majorca, Spain
Manacor
Manacor
80 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Playa de Muro
Playa de Muro
Majorca, Spain
4. Re: Just starting to research and need some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2011, 06:16