We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

We can't stand queuing to pick up our hire car - is there a way to avoid this apart from getting a bus or taxi to resort and then hiring in resort (Cala D'or)? Also which company allows full for full petrol tank return? Some companies are charging a bomb for fuel charges.

We are travelling 30th sept for a week so it shouldn't be particularly busy - should it?

thank you in advance.

jean

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

Try Hiper.They also have a full/full fuel option for hires of a week duration.They meet you in the terminal then mini bus you to their compound on the perimeter of the airport.Because they don't pay high airport office rentals they have many more check-in desks and at that time of year you shouldn't have to queue.Also you are straight off their compound on the right road for Cala d'Or.

You can book with them direct or through the car broker Holiday Autos.I have used them for 25 years and never had a cause for complaint.They may not be the cheapest but they are nowhere near expensive.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

Thanks for that.

Just had a look and it seems a bit too good to be true. Only 123 euros for a VW Golf. The website won't let me book a family size though - says I have to ring. I thought I had read somewhere on TA lately that Holiday Auto's had changed their car hire company? I like to deal with whoever I am dealing with so I think I will go for the Gold and then maybe upgrade to a larger vehicle when we get there. Good to know we are on the right road too.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

Go for the Golf!!! I meant. Whatever that is! My hubby is the driver and I know nothing about cars apart from the colour!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

That is a very good price for a very good car.Holiday Autos are a car hire broker therefore they have many suppliers to choose from.Very often it depends what make of car you choose from their website as to which supplier you get your voucher for.In previous years I have found that if you book say an Opel Corsa or a Fiat Punto then you got with Hiper.If you book a Ford Fiesta or a Renault Clio you got with Centauro.

However this year I was broadsided.For a booking made and pre-paid for last January for next month hire I requested a Renault Clio and was placed with Goldcar and no full/full fuel option.From feedback on this forum I had read that Goldcar with an office in the terminal building are one of those with horrendous queues eg 3 hours (!!!!) in July.So I asked Holiday Autos to repost me with Hiper and why.They did so with no fuss.

But you can by-pass Holiday Autos (as I discovered on this forum) and book direct with Hiper.I did hear that Holiday Autos had been taken over earlier this year by lastminute.com not that it has affected their efficiency..

North...
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

Any recent travellers back with first hand experience of the queues at the airport??I'm wondering how Recordrentacar are doing now and Goldcar with respect to queue times.Has anyone rented from Palma airport in last few weeks please?

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

Hi jewelof the north,

I have decided to bite the bullet & have booked a car with record again after my last disappointment, i pick it up on saturday lunch time but i am expecting a queue at their desk, the reason i decided was it only cost 225 euro's for 15 days, i will post my views on saturday evening if i'm not still in the queue.

best regards

45 mac

Northants
Level Contributor
116 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

I had an absolutely wonderful experience with Goldcar in June. I left my wife to get the cases off the carousel while I sorted the car and arrived back in time to see the cases popping out on to the conveyor belt. I expect the time of day has a bearing on how long you will be though. This was about 11:30 PM. I was horrified when I read about someone waiting three hours. That's longer than the flight.

I have always avoided off airport car hire offices but on Saturday I will be picking up a car from Centauro so it will be interesting to see how it compares to an airport office.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

Just come back yesterday from majorca and hired a car for a week. Went with Holiday Autos after hearing about problems with Gold Car and numerous recommendations from people like Wirrel Scouse beating the drum about Holiday Autos.

WHAT A MISTAKE!!!

Checked Holiday Autos T&C before booking and states they use a full/full poilcy. Booked and was told that the provider at the airport are Record Go.

After getting the bags was greeted by a massive que at the desk, was told to go through security as there is another side to the desk which you can use. Was stood waiting for 2 hours, while looking over at the Gold Car desk they had hardly anyone queing at all.

When i finally got served i was told by the agent that it was a full/full policy, after signing paperwork and giving a €300 deposit, looked at the paperwork a few days later and noticed that i had also been charged €49,91 for a tank of petrol. Also on the agreement in the notes section stated that it was now a full/empty policy.

Got in touch with my credit card company while out there asking what my options are, was told to contact Record in Majorca explaining the situation that i had payed for the in the u.k on the agreement of full/full.

Was literally told go away on the phone as they were to busy to deal with me as they had to many people at the desk and that it was full/empty before hanging up on me!! All in all i only used half a tank and feel that ive become another victim to this rip-off scheme.

Checking my T&C today here is where i feel ive been done by Holiday Autos :-

Holiday Auto's supplies all of its vehicles to renters full of fuel, and renters should return the car with a full tank unless otherwise instructed by the rental company staff.

From what i can tell is you pay your money in the u.k with the idea of full/full but you only find out its different when you get to majorca and agree to there terms.

Can anyone tell me why there seems to be a problem with Record Go or Holiday Autos at the minute? Done my research and thought i had choose the right deal, even payed a little bit more money than Gold Car as thought it would get me a better service. SEEM NO DIFFERNCE AT ALL!!!

Edited: 09 September 2010, 15:16
North...
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

Sounds like sharp practice to me !!! So that s yet another bad experience at Record desk....any recent horrors with Goldcar anyone??

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire company at airport with least queues and hassle!

We have used Centauro ,the only problem we had was we didnt get the car we asked for and ended up with a much smaller one due to our plane being delayed by quite a few hours, the one we got was the only one they had left ,as there was 5 of us we asked for an estate type car so we had enough room for all our luggage ,we got a ford focus which could not hold 5 large cases ..As it was late at night there were a lot of mozzies in and around the office even the employees were complaining so just be prepared..