We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Americans beware"

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
"Americans beware"

Not Americans, beware....

A tale for you to be aware of. A very nice American couple staying here had their valuables bag stolen at the airport whilst unloading their bikes. Everything of value was taken, including their passports, Despite very helpful consulate and Embassy services, they ended up in the "kafkaesque" situation where they had to fly to Madrid to get a replacement passport, but NONE of the Spanish airlines would allow them to fly without valid id, ie passport, despite the fact the policia Nacional at the Airport told them it was legal to do so. They got a flight with Airberlin who were very helpful, and got them to Madrid. So a coulpe of takeouts:

1) Dont leave doors unlocked in cars at the airport, thre is at least one gang working there

2) Try and keep another ID (driving license eg) separate

3) Fly Airberlin!

3)

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Americans beware"

A timely warning, thieves are everywhere.

Something useful to do is to scan the passport before leaving and email it to yourself, then you can access the number etc from anywhere where you can log on to your email account.

North...
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Americans beware"

Good idea Mark.I have photocopies of mine which I keep apart from my luggage.

3. Re: "Americans beware"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 09:20