We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palma-Pollenca-Soller & surroundings by car?

Netherlands
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Palma-Pollenca-Soller & surroundings by car?

Hi everyone,

We will be travelling to Mallorca tomorrow for the first time and will really appreciate some advice. I have researched the TA forums but couldn't come to a good conclusion and thought it might help to post a new thread.

We will be arriving at Palma airport at night and have booked a nearby hotel, UR Portofinco. Our plan is to rent a car the next day and drive to Pollenca (& P. Pollenca) where we will be staying for 3 nights before moving to Soller (& P.Soller) for a couple of days and back to Palma for the last two days. We intend to visit Deia, Valldemosa and perhaps Fornalux or Sa Calobra if time permits.

Given our plan, do you think it is better for us to rent a car or make use of the public transportation? Hubby is an experienced driver and had no problem navigating the narrow, winding mountain roads when we were in Crete, however, I tended to be rather nervous and couldn't relax during the drives.

Secondly, how can we best get from the airport to hotel UR Portofinco?

Any advice on whether it is better to drive from Palma to Pollenca or go by public transportation? If by car, any idea where would be the best place for us to pick up the rental car?

Sorry for the long note - I thought it is better to give you all the background info. Many thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions / recommendations!

Cheers!

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palma-Pollenca-Soller & surroundings by car?

The Portofino is in Cuidad Jardin, 5 mins from airport. You can either arrange a car from the airport or look for one locally in the resort.

I would say that you would definitely be much better than public transport as it gives you much more freedom. The public transport system on Mallorca is very good, but from your itinerary you would be much better off with your own car.

Tomorrow!!! I think your options for car hire are limited to the airport really.

Hope this helps

Edited: 26 May 2011, 17:29
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palma-Pollenca-Soller & surroundings by car?

I totally agree with Peter.Although there is some public bus service to all the places you mentioned (with the possible exception of Sa Calobra) some of it spasmodic, a hire car will give you total flexibility timewise.And picking one up and dropping it off at the airport is the most convenient.If I were you I would pre-book it online today for collection tomorrow as you will pay more just to turn up at a desk in the Terminal and ask for a car on spec.

Last month I used Sixt who are on tha airport campus and have a bureau in the Arrivals hall.Their storage depot is on the ground floor of the multi-storey car park facing the exits of the Terminal.I have been hiring cars in Majorca for 30 years and my first hire from Sixt was my best experience yet.A German company which probably accounts for the slick service and efficiency.

As you were nervous in Crete could I suggest you take a sedative before the drive down to Sa Calobra from MA-10.Or wear either a blindfold or brown trousers!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palma-Pollenca-Soller & surroundings by car?

Yes, book a hire car immediately (ie in advance, rather than just turning up at a car hire desk). Car much better for most of your visit, provides total flexibility. However, return your car before the end of your holiday as you will find that having a car in palma itself is a liability, and no benefit there IMO

Netherlands
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palma-Pollenca-Soller & surroundings by car?

Hi all, many thanks for the advice! We followed your advice and managed to rent a car in advance for pickup at the airport. The roads in Mallorca were fairly easy to navigate even without a navigator and while the mountain roads were challenging, they weren't too bad. Really glad that we took your advice to rent a car as it was definitely so much more flexible and convenient!

Also, I would like to put in a little recommendation for www.sunnycars.nl, the company from which we rented the car. Their standard all-in insurance coverage was great and really hassle free too. And they have great customer service. Someone bumped into our car in a parking garage and we weren't really sure if their total insurance coverage is really full coverage and were worried that Hertz (sunnycars work through Hertz in Mallorca) would withhold our full EUR 350 deposit and we would need to go through a lot of hassle and paperwork to claim it back. But we worried for nothing. They had a good agreement in place with Hertz and we were refunded our full deposit on the spot despite the big dent. No questions and completely hassle free. Highly recommended!

Edited: 18 June 2011, 19:31
5. Re: Palma-Pollenca-Soller & surroundings by car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2012, 05:17