We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

athens
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

hey, are you aware of any good car rental company ,without hidden costs, that we can find uppon our arrival at the airport? (not Hertz)

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

www.auto-europe.co.uk

athens
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

thank you.:-)

Manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

From what I've read www.auto-europe.co.uk is a broker for rental companies that do indeed have hidden charges. (ie they use Goldcar and Record which apparently are the worst offenders for hidden charges) So it may be best to avoid them.

The big companies that dont have hidden charges seem to be europcar and sixt, but they do charge alot more. I booked with www.cardiddy.com and then read about the hidden charges "scams" and contacted them to see if they charged for them - they called and e-mailed to confirm they only charge extra for fuel on a full - empty basis.

athens
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

that's very helpful.i was actually thinking of going with record but now i don't think so.hopefull we'll find a reliable company at the airport and book it then.thanks so much for your help.:-)

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

Cardiddy are also brokers so as with all broker you could end up with any car hire company and then find you have to pay for extras even though the brokers states you do not.

I always use www.hiperrentacar.com/portada.php3?lang=2 , level of service and quality of the cars are excellent and there are no hidden costs. They operate a Full-Full fuel policy for 6 day or less rentals but unfortunately it is Full- Empty for 7 days or more.

Manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

Hazer yes they are brokers, and I contacted them with a strongly worded e-mail as I was worried after what I read on here about Majorcas car hire comapnies.

The actual owner of the company called me personally on a Sunday afternoon and explained why they don't use certain companies and that there are no hidden costs with them. They then confirmed this by e-mail. They do have a full-empty fuel policy, but they are open about this, and its fine by me.

Btw pretty much all the brokers say that theres no hidden extras (eg website will say CDW included for free) - but its some of the hire companies themselves that operate the scam - by "offering" the extras when you pick up the car.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,277 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental

Tayrina, don't leave it until you get to the airport, it will cost you more; book as far in advance as you can.

I was very impressed by Sixt this year at Palma airport. No hidden costs, and they do full-full on fuel. I booked very early and got a very good deal, though they may be more expensive now.

Have used Hiper in the past and they are good as well.

Record are poor, IMO.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental

Spacermanc

Just out of interest which hire company did cardiddy fix you up with and what was the quality of the vehicle and the service like ?

Manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental

Hazer,

They used a company called Visioncar2000 for us, though they use other companies as well as their own cars too (It tells you who when you search their site for rates)

We booked a 5 door Seat Ibiza. We actually got a Dacia "something or other" , but it was almost new and perfectly acceptable.

The service was great - they use a generic desk at the airport which is easy to find and had no queues. No checks on the car at pick up or drop off - just get the keys and go (there was a guy there though if we wanted it checked, but as I've experienced having no checks with other companies I was happy to "risk it"). The fuel charge was 70 euros and for a mid sized diesel that seemed reasonable, though I don't know what the exact capacity of the tank was so I cant be sure! Cost for our 11 days hire was 16 euros a day with no extras whatsoever except for the fuel charge above.

athens
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental

thanks to all for your input!

i just came back from majorca and we had a great time.

the reason i wanted to get to the airport to book a car is because a long time ago before our trip we made a reservation with hertz.but then after reading all the horror stories here, i read more carefully the terms.in our case, the card holder,driver and the person who made the reservation were different since there was 3 of us. however, later i read somewhere in the terms that the driver should be the same person as the card holder and if this was not the case, the driver should also have a credit in his name for a guarantee.and if they hadn't, we wouldn't be able to pick up the car.however only one person of us had a credit card.i emailed them and they told me that actually the card holder,driver and person who made the reservation should be the same person.but then,we would have to pay extra for a 24 year old driver since he was the only one who had a credit card.and also pay extra for a cancellation since the person who made the reservation couldn't be modified.only cancelled! i emailed them and said that the info in their site and confirmation e-mail are contrasting and misleading and the least they can do for us is let us cancel without paying any fee.

also, if they were professionals, maybe they should create something as an alert box when a customer makes a reservation and fills in 3 different names, saying that only one is acceptable.

at their desk in majorca airport,they told us that the card holder and driver could actually be different persons!! 0_o in any case,if we knew about all these from the beginning,we wouldn't have made the reservation in the first place.

so,when i arrived at majorca i booked a car through sixt.very good price and stayed really satisfied.the only downside was that they gave us a price including everything and i asked is everything everything included?no hidden costs?and they said yes.so we reserved that without paying because the guy who had the credit card would arrive later.we left the airport and when our friend went there,he paid 30 euros extra for tires and windows insurance,meaning that there was not everything included as they told us.this was optional though.

Get answers to your questions about Majorca