We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mallorca

uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mallorca

Hi i am looking at hiring a villa through owners direct and wondered if by any chance anyone had stayed in the villa i am looking at?

Its in Cala Egos and its property b2751. The lady has been really helpful but there is always that bit of doubt your going to get ripped off?

Many thanks.x

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mallorca

when you going? and how much is it? then you can be told if you getting ripped off or not

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mallorca

rachel you are right to be wary. Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows the property or who has stayed there who can put your mind at rest.

uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mallorca

Its 16-26th August 2012 and the villa is costing £2030 for 9 of us Its not that i think we are getting ripped off i just wondered if anyone had stayed in this property or booked through owners direct. I have 6 people in my family and this is the only way we can afford to go away, the package holidays are far too much.x

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mallorca

I think most of us understood that you didn't mean was the price expensive. From past experience, most of us will know that you meant did the place actually exist, had anyone stayed there before, and was the booking as it should be.

Like I said, I hope someone has some knowledge of it to put your mind at rest.

hornchurch/santa...
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mallorca

I haven't used them or know of that particular aprtment, however I know people that have used owners direct to rent places and had no probs and I know people that rent out their own places on the site. Maybe google street view it?

As Annabelle says lets hope someone can help!

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mallorca

We have used Owners Direct many times and have not had any problems. However, it is just an advertising website and I am pretty sure they do not inspect the properties etc.

I suggest you try to strike up some kind of dialogue with the owners; think of some questions, then perhaps give them a ring and ask one or two then follow up with an email with some more and see how quick they are to respond etc. You could ask them to email more 'photos for instance. That way, you usually get a feel for what they are like.

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mallorca

The real thing to find out here is payment methods they are proposing. If they want 100% upfront then I think you can be more suspicous, a (largeish) deposit now and then the rest paid, say a month before, does give you MORE assurance. The whole "money sent now to thailand" should send alarm bells ringing.

If you are still concerned that these are the real owners, ask the owners to take a photo inside one of the rooms to replicate a photo of the room already on the owners direct site but holding something you specify, like a bottle of wine, umbrella or something. They may not be on site but you can bet they will be able to ask someone to to that for them...

If that still doesnt convince you you can PM me and I can find out the real owner for you off the land registries website.

8. Re: Mallorca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 04:16