We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hand luggage ?

Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Hand luggage ?

Hi, we're taking a last minute break to Palma Nova (flying with Ryanair) we normally check in our cases...and obviously pay the extra ..but this time we thought we'd try just doing it with hand luggage as its only for 5 days.

I think I can manage most toiletries etc into the 100ml limit but am puzzled for DH razors..are there any type which are allowed or are they a complete NO NO...if so can anyone advise what they normally do for razors...really dont want to be paying £50 for luggage....

All advice welcome :-)

Regards Happycruzers

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hand luggage ?

What are DH razors? I fly Ryanair regularly and have never been pulled with disposable razors in my hand luggage.

Also make sure your cases are within their handluggage size limits. I've tired the amount of times I've seen people ruining their oversize luggage trying to ram it into the measuring cages they use.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hand luggage ?

You cannot take any sharp object in your hand luggage, so things like razors, tweezers, etc. are not permitted. I've seen people having to hand them over at the security check before being allowed to proceed any further.

You could buy what you need when you get there, and dispose of it before returning home - a cheaper option than checking in your luggage, probably.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hand luggage ?

Disposable razors are permitted on planes in hand luggage.

As you are only going for a few days then one disposable will be enough.

Travelling with just hand luggage is easier than it seems . Most people take far too much stuff.

I buy a cheap toothbrush ( 5p from Tesco ) , take only a half empty tube of toothpaste and a small bar of soap , none of which is taken home.

Take half the shirts you need and wash one every night in the sink . It is dry again the next day.

Try it all ---- it`s simple.

Graham

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hand luggage ?

trinet.

DH razors means " Dear Husband`s " razors !!!!!!

Graham

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hand luggage ?

Further to elem1's reply. You CAN take disposable razors with fully enclosed blades. Its in their T&C's. Section 8.10.1.2

www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hand luggage ?

I had to laugh.Mrs WirralScouse's packing arrangements compared to Graham's.She needs her carry-on bag just for her priority items ie toiletries, hair kit,digicamera and phone charger and if we didn't pay for a hold bag she wouldn't have any change of clothes!

Edited: 18 April 2012, 12:21
UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hand luggage ?

it never ceases to amaze me how much stuff some folk carry... just WHAT do you need a charger for on the plane ??? LOL !

Up till this year, generally speaking my handbag is big enough only for carrying the passports and my purse (and maybe a lippy!) OH carries the other bag which is big enough for reading matter for the flight and a jumper each just in case the weather on arival is not as clement as expected!

That said, this year we might think of carrying a bit more seeing as nearly every airline is now squeezing passengers more and more tightly on the baggage limits and charges. they'll kill the goose one day ... :(

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hand luggage ?

Trinet - you have enlightened me! Perhaps what I witnessed was some over- eager 'jobsworth' security personnel!

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hand luggage ?

I wouldn't dream of putting my camera or ipod in the hold luggage though.

10. Re: Hand luggage ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:17