We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Days out in a car

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Days out in a car

My husband, 4 year old son and I are going to Alcudia in a few weeks and will be hiring a car for 2 or 3 days. We will spend a day in Soller but I'm not sure where else to go.

I quite fancied going to Marineland but it looks to be a bit too far away. Any ideas on where else would be suitable for a family day out without spending more than an hour cooped up in a car?

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Days out in a car

marineland only takes hour and after there you could do palma city on the way back kill 2 birds with 1 stone

Burstwick, Hull
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Days out in a car

If you are happy to drive from Alcudia to Soller for a day I would say the Island is your Oyster ! So many places to visit and you do not have to spend an hour cooped up in a car, get a good map and plan a tour with stops in interesting towns and villages. We visited many places with an 18 month old granddaughter and saw so many places that we as a couple went back to in later holidays. Hopefully others with far more knowledge of the island will come on to help you.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Days out in a car

It's the "family" bit that is the problem.What are we going to find that will enrapture a 4yo son?

I think a drive to Cap Formentor via Pto Pollensa.Only a 25 minutes drive from Alcudia.But what a drive! Scenery most visitors to Majorca will not know about.Sea views/cliffs/coves and a lighthouse at the end of the promontory.Facilities and a car park there.That is the northernmost tip of the island of Majorca.As you fly in to Palma from UK you very often fly over that rugged and exposed landpoint.

scotland
Level Contributor
13,121 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Days out in a car

Cap Formentor via Pto Pollensa is a must , and stop at the top of the hill and as above you will see some stunning scenery .

cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Days out in a car

I would suggest returning to Alcudia from Soller via Bunyola, Santa Maria del Cami, Consell and Benissalem, you could then turn onto the motorway to avoid Inca, breathtaking views back of the mountain range you will have driven to Soller, presuming you will take this route there, enjoy, and you could drive down to Sa Colabra on route to Soller, although this road is busy during the mid-day, buses getting stuck etc., but a superb village.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,336 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Days out in a car

Totally agree with ab2pcs via Puerto Pollensa (worth stopping there for a few hours as well) all the way to Cap Formentor lighthouse. The 'top of the hill' Mirador viewing point is about 1 mile uphill after you have departed PP, car park there is obvious. Clifftop walk with fantastic views at the end - but hold tight to your 4 yr old. Then carry on all the way to Cap F lighthouse

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Days out in a car

little 4yr olds want to see wildlife/animals/ talking parrots dolphins etc well worth the hr drive to see the excitement and smile on his face

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Days out in a car

The first time I ever hired a left hand drive car abroad was in Mallorca some 15 years ago and I was a tad apprehensive about driving. We were staying at the Pollentia Club Resort on the Bay of Pollenca and the hire car was dropped off for us just outside the hotel. So to keep things simple for a start I just headed off in the direction the car was pointing which was Alcudia and kept on going along the main coastal road (only had one panic at the first roundabout) past Ca'n Picafort and eventually onward to Arta where we stopped off for a wander round the wonderful town centre. We then headed on to Cala Ratjada where we had a wander around and had a fantastic lunch, before we headed back the way we came.

To this day it is still one of our favourite drives, stop off at Arta for coffee , lunch in Cala Ratjada and if you haven't been before a stop off in Capdepera for a look around. An easy days driving for anyone who is apprehensive about driving in Mallorca.

Now Mrs H has flatly refused ever to go back to Cap Formentor after her first trip there, think she was traumatised :-)

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Days out in a car

Just to echo Hayzer's recommendation.I am quite surprised that Cala Ratjada is not so popular with Brits.

Also there is a water park in Alcudia which might please the little man.Watch out for height restrictions in Spanish water parks though.Larger one in Magalluf but that is a good hour's drive from Alcudia (but an easy one by motorways).

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Days out in a car

Hey Katie,

If this helps, here are some 'things to do' pages I found:

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Spain/Balea…

http://www.thealcudiaguide.com/

http://www.majorca-mallorca.co.uk/alcudia.htm

I hope that helped!

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Tom