We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet child friendly resort? Confused!

London
Level Contributor
146 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet child friendly resort? Confused!

Am desperate for some advice on resorts in Mallorca ... the more I read the more confused I am.

We ae looking for a quiet resort which is child friendly with a nice sandy beach, preferably under an hour from the airport (we are only going for a few days so don't want to spend a lot of time travelling).

We don't need more than a couple of restaurants / cafes / bars, not remotely concerned about nightlife (or hotel entertainment). Spanish feel preferable but as long as its not too British (not going to Spain to look for a sunday roast) I don't mind.

We have a four year old but prefer places which are 'child tolerant' (safe beach, small paddling pool) rather than full on catered for children.

I can't seem to find anywhere that fits this - I thought Soller but the beach apparently is shingly and less safe for children?

Any help much appreciated.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet child friendly resort? Confused!

To me your request cries out "Puerto Pollensa!". Puerto Soller would be my No 2.The beaches in Pto Soller are (imported) sand not shingle- except when the storms have washed the sand away!

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet child friendly resort? Confused!

Bit of a hard one . I would say all Majorca is child friendly . Avoid Magalluf and you'll be fine . Best beaches ... Alcudia , Puerto Pollensa , Sa Coma , Cala Millor . Cala D'or has lovely coves with sandy beaches .Santa Ponsa is closer to the airport and has a lovely beach . Not too British..... ? Most of Majorca is geared towards the British and Germans , so to get a Spanish feel might be quite difficult . Unless you visit the old towns of Alcudia , Pollenca , or take a trip to Valldemossa

Has that confused you even more ?

London
Level Contributor
146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet child friendly resort? Confused!

Thanks - my worry with Puerto Pollensa is that it might be very busy and far from the aiport? Or is this not the case?

Will also revisit Soller as it looks like I am wrong on the beach front! Looking up Santa Ponsa now (work can wait...)

Thank you very much for quick replies.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet child friendly resort? Confused!

Port de Soller has three beaches. The Repic beach which is sandy, very safe and popular for families with small children. They have created a new beach this year in the centre of the bay which is imported sand from Spain. The third beach is also sandy but they dredged a lot of sand from the actual port last year and put it on this beach. It's not very good but the other two beaches are fine. When my grandson was four he thoroughly enjoyed the Repic beach, swimming with arm bands and inflatable toys as the sea is very calm most of the time, finding crabs by the rocks and making friends. Restaurants are child friendly and in fact go out of their way to make a fuss of them. It's fully pedestrianised all around the port so no traffic to worry about, not at all rowdy and no English type restaurants.

You have also got the tram to pop up to Soller, although not cheap, but fun for a child.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet child friendly resort? Confused!

Pto Pollensa is less than an hour by road (mostly motorway) from Palma Airport.On a coach transfer it would take just over the hour but depends how many drop-offs before yours.You have not said when you are travelling so I can't comment on whether Pto Pollensa will be really busy.If you are thinking of going to Santa Ponsa in July or August that's busy.I have never been in Pto Soller or Pto Pollensa when they have been really busy.But then I don't go to Majorca in July/August any more.

Suffice to say Santa Ponsa is very different to Pto Soller and Pto Pollensa but your research will probably prove that.

6. Re: Quiet child friendly resort? Confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:42