We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to Barcelona

springfield
Level Contributor
168 posts
370 reviews
Save Topic
ferry to Barcelona

Planning an early July trip to Mallorca with a family of 4. We'd like to travel from the island to Barcelona for the ferry experience--but I'm having trouble locating information on a hydrofoil or quick boat.

We could leave from Palmi or Alcudia. I see reference to Balearic Lines, but their schedule did not give any times for June. The last question I saw on this was from 2009, so thought it would be good to ask.

For those who travel to Barcelona, which ferry do you use, and when does it leave? How long is the trip? I see ranges from 5-7 hours. Anything quicker? We are traveling one-way only to Barcelona.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to Barcelona

Check ferry www.transmediterranea.es

Flights www.vueling.com

Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to Barcelona

I have used the ferry this year and the is no fast option it's the 7 or 8 hour only. The fast option stopped operating a few years ago.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to Barcelona

There is a fast ferry (Balearia) from Palma to Denia. It departs Palma at 8am and leaves Denia in the evening at 5pm.

The ferry takes around five hours and goes via Ibiza where you can go up on deck for a breath of fresh air.

Mentioned in this post
Palma Suites
Palma Suites
347 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Balearia
Balearia
276 Reviews
Denia, Spain
Denia
Denia
Costa Blanca, Spain
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to Barcelona

The are fast ferries to loads of places but they are looking for a one way trip to Barcelona.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
springfield
Level Contributor
168 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry to Barcelona

I wondered if the hydrofoil had stopped because I couldn't locate the info.

Is there a hydrofoil from (Ciutudella) Menorca to Barcelona in the summer, does anyone know?

I guess flying would be an option, if the ride is 7-8 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry to Barcelona

Too many floaters in your posts.You want a ferry ride "for the experience" but you worry about the journey time.Why? So you float the idea of flights which would be most people's idea of best transfer. Then you produce a sidewinder about ferries from Minorca to Barcelona when you are are travelling from Majorca.Sorry I can't take your question seriously.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
St Helier, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry to Barcelona

http://www.directferries.co.uk/freight.htm

Try the above link Aventine for ferries from Minorca.

Wirralscouse, Aventine is only at the planning stage - keeping her options opened I would imagine!!

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry to Barcelona

If it is just the ferry experience you are after a better bet may be a trip to Menorca. My family and I have spent a week in Mallorca and then the following week in Menorca the last couple of years. First time we took the ferry and we all enjoyed it although it is functional rather than cruise luxury. This year we flew with Iberia on a small prop plane. There is not much in the cost and it is much faster. The ferry really is a means for locals to get between the islands. I would not like to do the long crossing(7-8 hours) to Barcelons for pleasure when the flight is a fraction of the time and I imagine not much difference in cost.

There is a fast crossing from Alcudia to Ciutadella with Balearia if memory serves and Iscomar does the slightly slower and less expensive crossing. I think it's a long trip however you do it for one day so may be better to book a night somewhere to stay over.

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Ciutadella
Ciutadella
Menorca, Spain
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ferry to Barcelona

Bottom line is the ferries are for people with cars, and lorry transport. If you have neither, flying is the answer. It's not a cruise.

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ferry to Barcelona

Actually there are plenty of foot passengers that use the ferry. It's really not just for passengers with vehicles or commercial freight. It offers a lovely new perspective on arriving/departing the islands.