We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is best for families in Majorca?

Caernarfon
Level Contributor
5 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Where is best for families in Majorca?

Can anyone advise me please? Wanting to book a family holiday in June 2012. We have two boys, 5 and 9 years old. Looking for self catering, very near beach and near water parks. Would like somewhere with a lots of different restaurants to choose from in the evening?

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

I would have said Cala Bona but there's no waterparks there, its a lovely resort for families and has the huge Cala Millor beach within a 10 min walk. If you must be near a waterpark Palma Nova or Santa Ponsa are ideal for Western water and both have great beaches, eateries and lots to do.

birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

Alcudia also has a waterpark and there are plenty of good hotels to choose from and beach...

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

Cala Bona fails on the beach aspect, as per Trinets post, although the Bonaire hotel (available thru Thomson) has it's own waterpark on site, which will be fine for a 5 year old, maybe a bit tame for a 9 year old, but all other boxes are ticked, excellent choice of restos within easy reach, - a proper family resort.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

Alcudia and Pollenca are fairly family centric from end of July to the beginning over September.

Alcudia is high rise hotels, and far more budget. The beach is narrower and often packed.

If you can stretch to Pollenca you won't regret it. The hotels are smaller and the villas are more luxurious.

The beach itself does get busy, but you can always find a large space to yourself if you walk along further away from the marina.

Not a huge amount of entertainment for the kids in Pollenca though (it sways more towards the adult).

Alcudia has a lot of arcades, kids clubs etc.

Both towns are nearby (they are adjoining bays), so it's easy to stay in one, and bus/drive/cycle to the other.

Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

How about cala d or? Loads of restaurants for eating out and nice safe coves for the kids. Also lots of entertainment for kids. Only downside is not particularly near a water park but great for you otherwise. Nice in june too as not as busy as school hols.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 12:43
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

Presume you mean 2013.If the water park is a necessity then, bearing in mind the ages of your children, I say Palma Nova.

There is lots of other entertainments for them to go at near to Palma Nova and the beaches there are excellent, clean,expansive and well maintained.

If you put low priority on the water park then I say Pto Pollensa ( a long way from one) which is great for families and eating out.The beaches at Palma Nova are better but the choice of restaurants and self-catering accommodations better quality in PP in my opinion.

I agree June is a lovely time to go but would school term time preclude this?

Edited: 27 December 2012, 13:15
birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

High rise hotels in Alcudia?

Never have I seen high rise hotels in Alcudia, if 8 to 10 floors is high rise, then there must be skyscrapers in Benedorm.

Lovely restaurants in Alcudia port, Can picafort could be another choice. If you only want to visit a waterpark once, then I'd consider other resorts mentioned as you can get excursions to all waterparks.

Caernarfon
Level Contributor
5 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

Oops sorry yes, June 2013!!! Thank you for all the helpful replies. We wouldn't have to be right on the doorstep of a Water Park as we would only visit once. Hopefully will be booking by the end of Jan so I'd be grateful for any more suggestions.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

Puerto Pollensa is very strong for self-catering options and is especially suitable for families with children of the ages of your two. And there are certainly lots of different restaurants to choose from in the evening - all types and all price ranges.

For self catering via a private rental direct with owners, select by first looking via link below

http://www.puertopollensa.com/rentals/

Beach also very good in PP. Have a look (during daytime) of what the south bay beach looks like via link below

seemallorca.com/mallorca/webcams/port-de-pol…

No waterparks in PP though; very laid back and not that type of resort. I think there's one about 5 miles away in Alcudia?

Edited: 27 December 2012, 16:34
ireland
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is best for families in Majorca?

We were on puerto pollensa aug gone its a lovely resort , very pretty!! But we found it very quite kids were 6+7. Wouldnt go back tbh more suited to older couples id imagine we spent a good bit of time in alcudia and luved it. (id hardly call it high rise tho). debateing between alcudia and sa coma for nxt aug (looking at protur safari park ).