We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Suggestions Please

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Suggestions Please

Hi all

Based on Alcudia next Sept for a week with wife and baby. We would like to spend a day or two sight seeing as it seems the island has a lot to see away from the coast.

Could you please make suggestions of places or itinteries that would make a good day on the island.

I will hire a car from Alcudia so as not to be bound by excursions.

Wery much like to see the mountains as well as any towns or villages that are worth stopping at. Also is it possible to visit the famous cave without an excursion party?

Thanks

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

If you are talking about Caves of Drach they are in the East of the island in Porto Cristo.The mountains are in the West.If you must see Caves of Drach then you can turn up and pay.You don't have to be on an excursion although you will be grouped for the tour.Not sure it's the thing for a baby.There are caves at Campanet which is nearer to Alcudia.

Re the day out from Alcudia.Drive from Alcudia to Pollensa and pick up the Soller road (C710).This is a scenic road through the foothills of the Tramuntana mountains.Stop off after 40 minutes or so for refreshments/toilet break/a look around Lluc Monastery a place of pilgrimage for many Spanish.The next part of the drive takes you through some rugged terrain and past 2 reservoirs/lakes Blau Gorg and Cuber.Just before you get to Soller take a left to Fornalutx which is a lovely mountain village and you can have lunch there. Won't be that busy in September although it is a tourist trap.

On the return if you can face a switchback mountainous road take the PMV 214 to Sa Calobra.There are cliff walks there and the scenery is dramatic.You could walk along the cliff path to Torrent de Pareis but I don't think with a baby this is on.In fact the whole itinerary may be less than ideal for a baby.

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

WirralScouse thank you. Agree caves and cliff walks arent recommended for a baby, but i was tihnking more sightseeing by car - god roads, great vostas etc, then wandering with the stroller around villages etc. Sounds like what you suggest - Alcudia to Soller is a good start.

I note the old railway ends in Soller, how long does it take to ride the railway?

Is it worth spending another day from Palma to Soller? Or can you ride the rails in sections, i.e. Soller for a few stops and back again?

Thanks again, appreciate all the advice

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

One of my favourite days out when we are in that area of Mallorca is the drive from Alcudia to Cala Rajada. It is a a nice easy drive, perfect for when you have just picked up a car and are getting used to it. We normally stop of at Arta for a coffee and a wander round the town, it is a wonderful old town with the Sanctuary of Sant Salvador perched on the hill overlooking the area.

From there it is a not too far to Cala Rajada which is another place I never tire of visiting. It has a nice laid back friendly feel and is perfect for spending a couple of hours wandering and enjoying leisurelyey lunch. On the way back it is also worth stopping of at the old walled town of Capdepera.

Have a look at this web site for some ideas

http://www.undiscovered-majorca.com/index.htm

Edited: 02 January 2013, 11:47
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

The Lluch / Soller trip as recommended by WS is very well worth doing, though constrained a bit by the baby I would think.

A shorter part-day trip, also with sensational vistas / coastline, is much closer to your Alcudia base. Drive towards Puerto Pollensa (and past it) and head towards Formentor headland/lighthouse. Superb vistas from mirador viewing point a couple of miles uphill after passing PP (you'll see small carpark when you get there) and then carry on later to Formentor Point lighthouse (northern most cliffs of Mallorca, from where you can sometimes see Menorca on the horizon). If you do it as a morning trip, PP would be ideal stopping point for lunch on way back to Alcudia.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

Oh and I forgot to mention there are the Caves of Arta as well which are just down the coast from Cala Rajada near Canyamel.

http://www.cuevasdearta.com/

birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

Inca market is a nice half day out or Palma city for a more upmarket shop.

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

Thanks all, i think Soller is a must by the sounds of it!!

Can anyone tell me whether the mountain road (C-710) to Soller is an easy drive (Google says its 1hr 20 min from Alcudia) vs. the motorway PM-27?

I'm sure the mountain road will be a great drive, but is it really 1hr 20 mins drive, or is it really a lot longer with winding mountainous roads?

I've experienced Google's incorrect time assumptions on mountain roads before in France and wouldn' t want to repeat that with a baby in the car!

Thanks

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

That timing is about right excluding stops.It is a very well-cambered, well-surfaced road albeit undulating and with many bends.Unlike the road down to Sa Calobra the C-710 Pollensa -Soller is not a driving challenge. A far more visually rewarding drive than the motorway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

Brilliant. Thank you very much!

10. Re: Day Trip Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 00:17