We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short layover: 7pm - 3pm

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
380 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
short layover: 7pm - 3pm

I've gone through the posts and found that most people who've asked questions about layovers had only a few hours. However, I do have an overnight stay plus the morning of the following day. I will be coming from Faro so by that time I will have had enough beach time so I'm looking to go a bit deeper into things Majorca. I know it's not much time, but I'm hoping to find enough to like to warrant a return visit.

Ideally, I'd like to take public transportation (buses, etc.). I've come across an inexpensive hotel (Linda Hotel) in Can Pastilla for about $45. Would this be preferable to something more central in Palma given the time I have?

Again, thanks in advance for the tips.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

Hotel Linda is good value for money.Next to a bus stop on direct route from the airport.Hotels in C'an Pastilla are considerably cheaper than those in Palma * for *.They are also nearer to the airport than those in Palma.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
380 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

Thank you. I suppose it would be worth it to then go check out a bit of the nightlife and grab a bite in Palma.

Would it be feasible to go to Soller (and not to the port/beach - too time consuming) on the first train the following day at 8am and then back to Palma in time to catch a bus to the airport by 1? I've checked the train schedule and it gives only the departure times.

Thanks again.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

Your original enquiry was about decent accommodation at a good price for an overnighter.You're going to be on an island which is approx 50miles square (not 50 sq miles) for 18 hours at most landside, and you want to use public transport.You can sleep,eat and do a bit of Palma in that time or you can do C'an Pastilla and Palma,possibly the cathedral (just).But you can't do the Soller train as well. If you want Palma and its sites/sights don't stay in C'an Pastilla for the one night-stay in Palma and pay accordingly.

If you stay overnight in Palma and want to take the first train to Soller next day (journey time 1 hour) then return from Soller to Palma on the express bus via the tunnel to save time.Then when you get back to the bus station in Palma you have to catch the No 1 bus to the airport.Tall order to stay in C'an Pastilla overnight and do the Soller bit next morning as it has to route via Palma..

Doesn't sound much like a holiday to me more like a traveller's boot camp.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

You could do Soller in the time you have,either by early train or Bus. I`d go bus as its quick and cheaper.

The bus and rail stations in Palma are next to each other.

You`d need to get the first bus/train of the day and what would you do with your luggage as you wouldn`t really have time to go back to your hotel and get to the airport in time.

Soller/Pto Soller are as good as it gets on the island,but you`d be on a really tight schedual.

The first train from Palma leaves at 8AM and you`d need to get the return at 11.55.

The first bus from Palma top Soller leaves at 7AM and gets you there at 7.30. You could get the return at Midday and be back in Palm at 12.38. You could get the bus before if you want to be comfortable getting to the airport for 1.

You`d have enough time to get a feel for the place,and even ride the tram into the port and back.

The bus from nearby the railway station to the airport runs every few minutes and takes about 15 mins.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

Do not make the mistake of thinking the Soller train (trendesoller) goes from the train station/bus station interchange in Palma.Separate station for trendesoller.If you weren't taking the train to Soller there wouldn't really be much point in doing a half day trip by bus when that half day could be more rewardingly spent in Palma.Not sure that a few daylight hours are enough to make a judgment on " to warrant a return visit". But as you are arriving in Palma from Faro the feast of things to see in Palma might take you by surprise.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

Wirral,the bus and train station are about 200 yards apart on the Placa Espanya.

I`m simply giving information on the logistics to hopefully help the OP make up their own mind.

I`ve explained the approximate journey time from either to the airport.

Getting from Can Pastilla to Bus/Rail station would,IMO require a taxi early morning.

Personally I`d do the trip,but,that is my opinion and if I was a first time visitor I`d think hard.

The last thing anyone wants is for someone to make the wrong choice and miss a flight.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
380 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

Thank you so much. It's very helpful information indeed! I think I'll leave my luggage at the hostel near the bus station (if i don't stay at Can Pastilla) and get it after getting back into Palma.

Can I take the train back (going)? It seems like the train is a special experience not to be missed. But if it doesn't work then I'll have to take the bus. Is the town of Soller enough of an experience or should I push for going to the port? Does the bus go to the port or just to Soller?

But I'm very glad to find that I can do it somehow with the little time that I have.

Thank you again.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

The bus and the train go to Soller.The tram goes from Soller to the port.But in a stay of less than 24 hours why the fixation on Soller? Yes the old train is a wonderful experience but why spend less than a 24 hr day in Majorca and not see Palma?

You can take the train back.The train runs Palma-Soller-Palma.Just the timings of the return journey might make the express bus a better idea if you took the train out from Palma-Soller and you are pushed for time-and you are. And if not taking the train at all Soller would not be my first choice for a half day in Majorca.

But I do know Americans have different holiday priorities than Brits so I recognise it is up to you and what you fancy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
380 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

Nothing to do with being an American. This is just part of a forced connection on a ticket en route to a final destination. It's just to make the most of the limited time during that stop. I don't find enjoyable just sitting by a po or yet another beach when I will have just done that for a couple if weeks. I tend to travel quite differently when I have other options. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
380 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: short layover: 7pm - 3pm

Err: "pool" & "of" weeks. Typing on a phone sucks.