We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire alternative

doncaster
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
car hire alternative

ive been getting really fed up with the ways hire companys make extra money ie.excess cover or trying to charge 500 euros for a stone chip that was there in the 1st place,fuel policys,we wouldnt accept it the uk so why do accept it when abroad,and the list goes on.the alternative is taxis,buses,oh and walking more.my car hire which i have just cancelled was for 11 days at 350 euros 80euros for fuel,25 excess cover 25 car parking ,and the latest at least 50 euros for the latest "eco" tax(or stealth tax) total 530euros...for us taxi to can picafort 70euros,taxi to magaluff 90euros,mag to airport 40 euros total 200 euros...leaves us with 330euros for local taxis,meals out,extra spending money etc. and all without the hassle of driving.cant wait it will be a different holiday for us.my son is also looking forward to it saying what will we find to argue about(my wife doesnt know left from right while abroad)

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire alternative

Akker,

I totally understand your feelings regarding hire cars, it's a major topic on this forum,i am in mallorca at the moment & my hire car was €54 for 14 nights plus the rip off fuel = €139 in total,but still a great deal.

When i picked up my car there was scratches on it so i went back into the office & told the girl,she just give me a pen & told me to mark them on my contract form,she then stamped it without checking

It's great to tour the island at this time of the year,going to villages i have never been to before but come july / august it's back to resort hoppa this year for me as i won't pay the crazy prices plus eco tax.

doncaster
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire alternative

i agree,iff i was going now i would definatley hire a car as normal,if only for the independance,but werre going late july,the peak season so the prices are a lot higher

birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire alternative

you have shown thats its really worth doing your homework when it comes to car hire.. There are so many people that just use cars to get to the resort and back and a little bit of around town usage.... I think alot goes on the time of year also with peak months being rediculous prices normally. Unless you really going to do some mileage then it might not be worth hiring a car.

4. Re: car hire alternative

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 05:15