We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire-Thinking of not paying for CDW excess waiver?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire-Thinking of not paying for CDW excess waiver?

Some hire car companies do not charge extra for waiver of the excess.Sixt don't.And if I have hired in the past from a company that charges for it I paid it.I collected an almost new (6,000kms) immaculate VW Polo 8 days ago from Sixt at PMI. 237 euros for 8 days- definitely at the upper end of the cost scale.

Tuesday morning in stormy conditions I am driving down a one-way street in Cala San Vicente (the one outside the front entrance of Grupotel Molins overlooking the bay if you know it).I see a lady reaching through the open passenger door of her car parked against the wall apparently fiddling with the door or window by the driver's seat.Only her lower legs and feet protruding from the just-open passenger door.I give her a wide berth but as I am passing her car a strong gust of wind blows her passenger door fully open and it scrapes along the rear door and rear wheel arch of the Polo.Sounded worse than it was but it is much more than superficial damage.

I halt the car at the end of the line of vehicles and leg off back to get her details.Too late, the bird has flown.

I returned the car today.The Sixt check-in guy asked me how it happened.He was not at all surprised the driver didn't hang around.

If that had been a car with just CDW cover through no fault of mine (that I can tell anyway) I would have been stung for anything up to 600 euros.My first accident in 30 years of hiring cars in Majorca.

I hope this tale helps somebody.

Mentioned in this post
Cala Santanyi
Cala Santanyi
152 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Grupotel Molins
Grupotel Molins
528 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire-Thinking of not paying for CDW excess waiver?

There is another relieved traveller on Valencia Forum that took the excess waiver out.

''firefly car rental valencia airport''

Mentioned in this post
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire-Thinking of not paying for CDW excess waiver?

A cautionary tale wirral and just goes to show you get exactly what you pay for in life. Sixt are a genuine outfit, something quite rare in Mallorca.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire-Thinking of not paying for CDW excess waiver?

Ever noticed that so many cars in Mallorca have many dents and scrapes?

I can tell you with first hand experience that scraping/denting/smashing into someone else's car isn't regarded as a big deal here. Happens all the time in parking lots. If nobody saw them do it, they WILL just drive off. I bought old beat up Fiesta just for that reason, and that's what I drive most of the time. It's pre-dented and scraped, so no worries :-)

The care hires have a bit different viewpoint. For example, if you didn't get CDW, and had to put up a €200 - €400 "deposit", if there is any damage - even a little scratch - then they will claim the entire deposit. They will provide you with a repair receipt that magically comes to exactly what your deposit was (even though they most likely won't even bother to have it fixed).

4. Re: Car hire-Thinking of not paying for CDW excess waiver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 06:19