We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta to Mallorca via Barcelona

Atlanta
Level Contributor
220 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta to Mallorca via Barcelona

My son will be flying from Atlanta to Mallorca via Barcelona later this month. How much time should we leave between landing in Barcelona and the connecting flight to Palma?

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta to Mallorca via Barcelona

Probably 40 mins at least.

But with all due respect, just check the flight times and terminals. The airlines rarely book connecting flights with less than 40 mins between them, unless there are in the same terminal or wing (unlikely in this case as he'll have to clear customs when arriving in Barcelona).

Edited: 04 July 2013, 15:41
Atlanta
Level Contributor
220 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta to Mallorca via Barcelona

Re: customs in Barcelona, will he need to claim his bags then re-check them after going through customs?

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta to Mallorca via Barcelona

Highly likely. I don't know about Barcelona, but in Madrid, on flights from the US, you collect your bags then go through customs.

By the way, they don't necessarily tell you that you need to claim your bags, so it can be confusing. I made the mistake of assuming my bags were checked through to Mallorca on a flight from DC some years ago, and I ended up having to go back through customs to get my bag, which was not "un-frustrating" to put it mildly.

PMI airport (mallorca) has a very limited sort of customs, but I seriously doubt they will put him through to Mallorca to clear.

I'd reckon they will book the flight connection with several hours between them, not that it will take that long, but just because they won't likely book you for a 40-minute connection. Because of the customs clearance, I'd suspect they'll be obliged put him on the next later flight, which is likely to be several hours.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 16:18
Atlanta
Level Contributor
220 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta to Mallorca via Barcelona

Thank you! I think we're going to book the connecting flight with a 2.5 hour wait. That should give him plenty of time!

5. Re: Atlanta to Mallorca via Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 06:18