We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st week in November

Switzerland
Level Contributor
563 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
1st week in November

Hi everyone,

We have already booked 8 days in Majorca from Nov.1 through the 9th. We are staying at the Sheraton Arabella as the main purpose is to play golf. I did want to ask though, since the season for Majorca has probably ended already (?), are any attractions open at that time anymore? We have rented a car also to get around.

Thanks!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st week in November

Only Palma will be fully functioning at that time.The cathedral there is one of the biggest attractions and will be open but not on Sundays for visitors. But Caves of Drach at Porto Cristo should be open.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st week in November

Sorry Wirral, but virtually any place with a local population does not "shut down".

Yes, it gets quieter, and many of the seasonal tourist shops & restaurants close up, but even in February, in places like Cala Millor or Alcudia, Soller, Andratx, Porto Cristo, Palmanova, and others, there are a number of bars shops and restaurants open (even a few hotels), the supermarkets are open, and the locals frequent the beach year 'round.

But OK, compared to February, November should be "rockin'".

Switzerland
Level Contributor
563 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st week in November

Thanks for your responses. And weather-wise? I read from somewhere low 20s during the day and cooler at night. Is that accurate? Should we expect rain?

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st week in November

Good days can be 22 and sunny a bad day will be 14 and rainy. Nights are chilly. 10-15.

You can expect rains about 20-40% of the time (rather unpredictable)

Edited: 26 July 2013, 10:53
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st week in November

We prefer Mallorca out of season, you just have to be a bit careful where you go; i.e. avoid the purpose-built holiday resorts.

We spent two and a half weeks there in February and it was great. The atmosphere in Palma and the old town of Soller was lovely; very few trippers but lots of locals going about their business, so a much more authentic atmosphere.

We have just booked to go back for two weeks at the end of October/beginning of November to do lots of walking. OK, we expect to get some rain - but it will be warm rain!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st week in November

I know that mallorcat.But OP asked "what attractions were open at the time" and I took that to mean sites and sights.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st week in November

windvalley - if you are wanting to see some of the 'real' Mallorca, rather than visit attractions such as waterparks etc, then you might consider:

the Wednesday morning agricultural market in Sineu, a lovely, historic town in the interior;

the Sunday morning market in Pollenca old town; no 'tat', just stalls of lovely local produce and housewives filling up their shopping baskets with their supplies for the week;

the Mercat de l'Olivar in Palma; great any day but especially on a Saturday morning, with amazing fish stalls;

a visit to the old town of Soller (our favourite place on the island) and then on to the little hamlet of Fornalutx for lunch. There is a nice market in Soller on Saturday mornings.

The journey from Palma to Soller, via Deia and Valldemossa, is spectacular, as is the journey through the mountains from Soller to Pollenca.

Just some ideas ......

Switzerland
Level Contributor
563 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st week in November

Thanks, B&P for the suggestions! We will visit the local markets and the places you mentioned. I think we will enjoy Mallorca in the off season. I never actually even thought about visiting Mallorca due to its reputation as completely over-run by tourists, therefore, the off seasons sounds much better although we are mainly going for the golf.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st week in November

The popular places in Mallorca are surely over-run with tourists in the high season (the less famous places are much less so). The off-season is indeed lovely and much more authentic, but the purpose-built resorts simply become ghost towns.

But as you exemplify, most people believe it's always over-run with tourists, so don't bother coming in the off-season, which is what helps make it the best time to come! Just be sure to visit places that have a local population, and all should be perfectly enjoyable.

10. Re: 1st week in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 05:17