We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

Hi, my family and I are looking to travel to the Balearic islands for two weeks, throwing in Lisbon along the way for a bit of a beach/city mix. We're from out of Europe, decided to do a trip because I (daughter, 21 y.o) am about to start a year abroad in London.

We will be there between 12-16 of Sept. We love the beach, doing active/naturey things (hiking, swimming, etc), as well as the usual food, culture, markets, etc. I guess an ideal day would be checking out a nice beach or going on a walk, and unwinding with a great dinner at night (for the islands - I'd imagine Lisbon would be more sight-seeing).

If we only have 14 days how would you advise us to split our times, and what are the must-sees? Brother is 19, parents in 50s so I guess we're kind of grown up.

My dad was thinking 4 days Majorca, 4 days Ibiza, and 4 days Lisbon but I'm towards the inclination of spending more time unwinding on the islands and more of a short visit in Lisbon.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 04:17
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

Clara:

There is much to see in Lisbon. Read the top questions in the Lisbon forum. Make a day trip to Estoril, which is very picturesque.

In Ibiza one of the best places to stay is Santa Eulalia, with good shops. If you have a car you can go around the island and see almost everything, since the island is small.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

Is there any reason in particular for Lisbon as the city? It's rather inconvenient from the Balearics and not the most exciting city in the world. If there isn't then I'd go to Barcelona - you can do that by ferry!

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

I'd agree with NoSoy on that one ( Barca rather than Lisbon ) Lot of hard work with all that nipping from place to place , unpacking , packing , transfers , airport queues , ferries etc . You probably need to allow 4 days for that .

Santa Eulalia is a good suggestion for Ibiza . Ibiza Town is a must for a visit at day and night . Majorca has a lot of places to visit . You could spend the entire fortnight travelling around the island . You must visit Palma city . Other resorts you may want to consider are Puerto Soller , Puerto Pollensa and Cala D'or .

I'm not a big fan of Menorca . It is a nice island but very quiet and not as diverse as the other islands .

Also dont forget the other Balearic island , Formentera . A one hour ferry ride from Ibiza .

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

I have been to both Lisbon and Barcelona more than once. As you know they are both large coastal cities with oodles of culture,art,architecture and history to check out. Both have handy large sandy beaches.For a first timer Barcelona would be my recommended preference.

I too would give Menorca a miss for the reasons Kevin gives plus the fact it lacks the scenic contrasts of Majorca. Ibiza is fine for partying and beaches but I would split the holiday between Barcelona (including the Costa Brava resorts) and Majorca.

Was a nice open question to consider! Thanks and your feedback would interest us eventually please. It's usually the Americans that like to do so much chasing around in a limited time!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

I've been to Barcelona, Menorca, Ibiza and Mallorca over quite a number of trips (not been to Lisbon, though). IMO divide your time between just two locations - Barcelona and Mallorca; both of them have got various options and variety for your stay in them and hence will tick all your boxes.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 12:41
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

Thank you very much for all your responses!

We did decide to go with Barcelona and Mallorca in the end.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

Good choice Clara, there is more than enough to do in those 2 locations.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

Agree Clara. Good choice. Sometimes less is more,and choosing Barcalona and Mallorca will,I think prove an excellant decision. Please post a trip report when you get home.

9. Re: 14 days, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Lisbon - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Majorca