We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay for walks?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,284 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay for walks?

Wondering if I can find an area where I can go for walks and enjoy the scenery, maybe find a small beach or two for a swim. Prefer the coast with hopefully a bus service to somewhere else.

I like villages, harbours, somewhere to pick up a coffee and snack.

This sounds a little vague I know but hoping you get the gist. It's been a little dream of mine but not sure if it could be a reality.

It will be a budget trip so have been looking to stay in a resort as some come up cheaply with flights and transfers included in shoulder season and just use it as a base. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be glad to hear.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

Port de Soller. There is a wealth of walking from here, and it's a beautiful spot with a lovely wide bay. A tram ride away is the inland village of Soller, where there is more great walking. Accommodation is pricey, but we stay in Hotel Eden, a budget choice compared to the rest - the food is alright, rooms are nice and the location is superb right in the middle of the bay. But we go here for the proximity of the walking and the beautiful area, rather than the accommodation. We go Easyjet or Ryanair, and book either direct with Hotel Eden or through a booking agent. For April 2014, our next trip, it was cheaper to book through an agent.

Here's a webcam link for you to see the bay.

seemallorca.com/mallorca/…port-de-soller.html

My parents also did some nice walking in the Port de Pollenca area, staying in PP, but they did hire a car to get to further start points for their walks. There is some walking from PP, but it may be too restrictive compared to Port de Soller. It depends how much walking you want to do.

Enjoy planning your trip, all part of the fun.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

I agree with mathsboffin - in fact you are describing Port de Soller! It has everything on your wish list - magnificent walks, fantastic scenery, lovely harbour, nice cafes and restaurants, small sandy beaches and some pretty nearby villages and also the lovely town of Soller a short bus ride, taxi or tram ride away.

If budget is your main concern take a look at the hotels Citric and Marbell in the hotel reviews. I have never been inside either but both are right on the seafront in good quiet positions and could be a good budget option if you are just looking for a base.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,284 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

Thank you both. That is a great start. Sounds wonderful. I will begin to look around there.

I don't want to go hiking, just like to walk out and see something of the real island which I've read about, a bit of freedom from holidays either touring hot spots & avoiding the 'international cuisine' that seems to come with so many holidays these days.

Have only just begun although it's been on my mind for some time and it's hard to get info on anything other than resorts, which is mostly what came across when trying to do it myself.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

Hi Sue

I would also recommend Puerto Pollensa and Puerto Soller with Soller probably better for walking.

There are some others to consider, have a look at these web sites

www.majorca-mallorca.co.uk/calas_majorca.htm

http://www.discover-majorca.com/

Edited: 24 October 2013, 20:54
Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,284 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

Hayzer, there's a surprise. Thanks for the info. I will really enjoy looking into these. Having to stop myself just heading off and really plan so I don't just end up making it an escape rather than a trip!

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

Have a look at what Soller/Puerto Soller and the surrounding area has to offer.

http://vimeo.com/66814038

lincoln
Level Contributor
689 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

You could also consider the south east of the island- the area from Cala D'or round to Cala Santanyi - maybe stay in Cala Egos visit Porto Petro, Cala Mondrago and the little villages beyond. Gentler walking than Soller and easier on the accommodation budget than Puerto Pollensa.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,336 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

Puerto Soller if you are seeking serious (ie hilly) walking all around. Puerto Pollensa if you want something more level, with options for some hills.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,284 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

Right now, something gentle! Enjoyable, had enough challenges. Thank you again both. Now I am getting some idea of the island. Guess I should really look at a map with contours. The Google and the net tends to forget that.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
841 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to stay for walks?

read littlepumpkins report

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g319794-i9777-k3…