We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on choosing the right area to stay

Toronto
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help on choosing the right area to stay

My husband and I will be in Majorca for 5 nights in Sept and are not sure what area to stay in. We are mid 50s, enjoy trying local food, walking and discovering the beautiful sights in both towns and cities. I love the beach and want to rent an apartment that is beachfront with time to enjoy some R&R. I saw an apartment on the Bay of Palma but I'm told that's not the greatest area. I look to the TA experts for advice on location. I'm not overly concerned about the budget as everything I've seen so far is reasonable.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help on choosing the right area to stay

IMO what narrows down your choice is the desire to try local food. Most Mallorcan resorts are geared to supplying food to the tourist that will be visiting. The second condition to overcome is a beachfront apartment.

I suggest you look at Port de Soller for most of your boxes to be ticked. The second area to look at is Puerto Pollensa.

It's also just occurred to me that the Cala Bona hotel, in Cala Bona obviously, would probably suit, although that's a hotel room and not an apartment.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on choosing the right area to stay

I think you will find what you want in Pto Pollensa.Although Mark is correct many restaurants provide an International menu there are some in Pto Pollensa that do local dishes eg tumbet/p'amb oli/mallorquin frit. Waterfront apartments abound (at a price) but for best value I would go for one of the quality hotels that offer seaview rooms at B&B terms eg Hotels Daina and Miramar.Even those are not cheap and for Sept you need to be booking soon.

If you decide on PP there are forum members eg KWUK and me who can advise you where to eat local menus.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,537 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on choosing the right area to stay

As is usual, I concur with WS' suggestions above and with Mark's post.

My own snaphot summary of Puerto Soller and Puerto Pollensa is - PS is better if you want (tough) hikes in the mountains whereas PP is better for its beach and restaurant choices. And both have the benefit of nearby very interesting/characterful inland towns for you to explore.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help on choosing the right area to stay

Porto Cristo could be a third area to look at.

Toronto
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help on choosing the right area to stay

These are great suggestions and I will definitely look at these destinations thanks. I've also read from guide books that Cala D'or and Playa de Muro would be places to look at as well as Badia de Palma. What are your thoughts on these destinations?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help on choosing the right area to stay

Cala D'or is a beautiful resort , lots of little coves with crystal clear waters and lots of different types of restaurants to choose from . Have a look at the rocamarina hotel in Cala egos .

7. Re: Need help on choosing the right area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:18