We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palma Nova or Alcudia?

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Palma Nova or Alcudia?

Me and my mother are going to go to Majorca this Summer at the beginning of August. We have been to Alcudia several times but am thinking of having a change and going to Palma Nova instead. My mum is elderly and quite often requires a wheel chair to get about so can anyone advise if Palma Nova would be a better option? Palma, I think, has a nice long flat promenade to stroll up and down with the wheelchair where as in Alcudia the promenade is not the easiest to push a wheelchair from one end to the other. I am looking at possibly staying at the Sol Mirlos Tordos Hotel in Palma Nova or the Sol Center Aparthotel in Alcudia, of which we have not stay in before so if anyone has advise on those 2 hotels would be nice too. We have a soft spot for Alcudia but just wondered if Palma Nova is similar and if we would like there too.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

Palma nice is very flat with the exception of one or two roads . Your right there is a lovely long promenade that you will be able to push the wheelchair very easily along . I've been to both resorts and I really enjoyed Alcudia but I did find it a little too spread out . Out of the both of them I think I preferred Palma Nova though , it's in close proximity to the airport and I feel that even though it is quite a large resort that it's all compact .

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

thanks Mel141

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

3 beaches, 3 promenades in Palmanova, all flat and suitable for wheelchairs.

Beach from the back entrance of Mirlos Tordos is barely 100 metres, through a small park, it's cobbled paving through the middle but the outside semi circular walkway is regular tarmac.

The main pool at Mirlos is also wade in from zero to 1.0 metre deep, gently shelving, it would be a great choice for you.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 12:49
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

Yes in your circumstances I too think Palma Nova would be better.And Sol Mirlos/Tordos is fine.I have stayed there twice.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

Palma Nova is much better , and ideal for you and your mum .

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

Thanks every one

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

My mum is 73, is Palma nova going to be too rowdy being next door to magaluf or do you think it will be fine? Is it a resort for all ages or mainly for young and lively? Any advice would be appreciated

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

Palmanova typically isn't *too* rowdy, but all resorts in August are going to be busy. And no-one can predict what other customers will be staying at a said hotel at a said week.

But typically the Mirlos Tordos is full of families and no problems.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

thanks mark2spark, if it was just for myself I wouldn't worry as much if it was just for me but with taking my mum its always nice to know as much information as you can before deciding where to take her

Cookstown, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palma Nova or Alcudia?

Hi, I've stayed in both resorts and can safely say either would be good. Sol alcudia centre is nice and if you've been to alcudia before you'll know the area and all. Sol Mirlos Todos is good, if haven't stayed in it but we had family staying in it while we stayed in the Hotel Santa Lucia (brilliant hotel by the way). Palma Nova is a nice resort- great promenade along all three beaches with lots of nice Bars and restaurants. Don't worry about being next to Magaluf because you really wouldn't know it at all