We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on the island

Dublin
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay on the island

Hi

My husband and I (both in our early 30s) are hoping to take our first trip to Majorca at the end of May. We are wondering what resort we should stay in? We want somewhere that isn't rowdy (no 18-30 year old clubbing crowd) but that has a nice hustle and bustle to it in the evening time.. We intend to just relax by pool or on beach during the day and in the evenings eat out in nice tapas restaurants and wile away the time in traditional tabernas. We like places that still retain spanish charm, cobbled streets, etc. We loved Nerja and last year ventured to Lagos and Alvor in Portugal which has the same elements. Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Alvor
Alvor
Portimao, Portugal
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on the island

Perhaps Pto Pollensa.There are traditional restaurants and international ones too.Tapas is really a daytime thing.Avoid the tapas restaurant on the pedestrianised promenade near the Hotel Miramar.It's a rip-off.I hope end May weather is good enough for spending days around the pool or on the beach and you may be OK.The old town part of PP has cobbled narrow streets and has a certain charm.

I have been more than once to Nerja and Alvor and imo Pto Pollensa stands favourable comparison with both. Not as basic nor as cheap as Alvor but decidedly more tasteful overall than Nerja with a much nicer main beach and no sewage pollution..

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Miramar
Hotel Miramar
740 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Alvor
Alvor
Portimao, Portugal
Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,294 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on the island

IMO Majorca is more of a mainstream holiday destination, and the description you give of what you're looking for isn't going to be readily found in the main resorts.

However, some of the Inland resorts - no beach obviously - will more than fit the bill.

Hayzer has stayed at some pretty good Fincas before, sure he'll recommend some. Wirral can probably remember the names of them too.

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on the island

I concur with WS, consider Puerto Pollensa.

My daughter is about your age and she and her husband go to PP most years (seeking exactly what you are seeking).

I've been to Nerja a few times. It's fine, we like it but IMO PP is better (smaller, less over-developed and better beaches, but with same variety of good eating places).

And also enjoyed Lagos, but still PP wins out IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
lincoln
Level Contributor
849 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on the island

You could consider Cala D'or, as Mark says the coastal resorts tend not to have 'traditional' areas like in Nerja and Lagos. I have stayed in both and much prefer Lagos of those two but I will be in Cala D'or at the end of May! PP is lovely but the advantage that Cala D'or has a a much broader choice of accommodation IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Cala d'Or
Cala d'Or
Majorca, Spain
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Dublin
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on the island

That's great! Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like Puerto Pollensa is a good option for us. I have seen some other post about Puerto Soller...it seems to get good reviews. Has anyone any experience of this resort? I realise it may not match the criteria I set out above.

Mentioned in this post
Soller
Soller
Majorca, Spain
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on the island

As you've seen, I've put Puerto Pollensa as my no 1 suggestion. Puerto Soller would be my no 2 suggestion, but the beaches are better in PP.

Both PP and PS have the big benefit of a nearby (must-see) traditional town a few miles inland from them (Pollenca and Soller respectively)

Edited: 16 April 2014, 09:43
Mentioned in this post
Soller
Soller
Majorca, Spain
Pollenca
Pollenca
Majorca, Spain
7. Re: Where to stay on the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 07:15