We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire-Holiday Autos. Be aware.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire-Holiday Autos. Be aware.

Just some info which may be of assistance to potential hirers. I had hired cars through Holiday Autos at least once a year at Majorca Airport with total satisfaction for many years (I usually was placed with Hiper or Centauro) until I changed to Sixt about 3 years ago.I have not regretted that switch though I may have taken a small financial hit on every subsequent hire (3) as a result.

The name Holiday Autos is the same but the ownership is not.The company that was originally founded by Clive Jacobs (and others) was sold to lastminute.com. Last year it was sold on to an Irish company E Trawler Ltd. The website now has upfront an "Important Legal Notice". I read through it (until I nodded off) but to summarise, it pins the responsibility for any hiccups/breaches of contract on the car supplier. So,as I read it AND I COULD WELL BE WRONG-not for the first time, the car hire broker (Holiday Autos) accepts no financial responsibility for its introduction to the supplier beyond the commission it gets from the supplier.

So, dear reader, why would you use this car hire broker (or any other for that matter)? My advice for what it is worth is go direct to the car hire companies that get good write ups on this forum including Vanrell,Sixt,Hasso,Terrys,Hiper,AutosRoig.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire-Holiday Autos. Be aware.

And a side-benefit of dealing direct with the car hire company (instead of via a broker) is that one is grappling with only one set of 'small-print' terms and conditions.

So, if there is any problem, discrepancy or misinterpretation, all responsibility clearly resides between just the person hiring and the car hire company (ie the company cannot off-load any responsibility back to a broker)

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire-Holiday Autos. Be aware.

Like you Wirral I had used holiday autos in the past and rated them highly. They placed us with Hiper on our first car hire in Mallorca and I really liked the service and car I received so I have been booking direct with Hiper ever since.

Having said that this year I booked flights with BA and they had a great deal with Avis which was too good to refuse so I have booked with them.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire-Holiday Autos. Be aware.

I can never understand why people use brokers. Why not deal direct with the car hire company. Currently in Port Soller and have used Croauto arranged through our hotel the Eden. Fully covered, only replace fuel used.

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire-Holiday Autos. Be aware.

Well I used Holiday Autos and what a rip off that turned out to be. In the first instance they do not seem to own any cars, and rely exclusively on using other car hire companies. They go to great lengths to explain why you should take their cheaper insurance, but beware because the company with the cars will not always accept this alternative insurance and if they do they want a whacking great deposit (in our case €600) before they will give you the car. The company with the cars will then go to great lengths to explain that Holiday Autos insurance does not cover everything and it could take a long time before you get your deposit back as they have to fully check the car. So you are blackmailed into taking a second insurance which you do not need.

So the moral is DO NOT USE BROKERS ONLY USE CAR HIRE COMPANIES WHO OWN CARS.

The second moral is to check ratings with Tripadviser before you use any of them.

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire-Holiday Autos. Be aware.

Holiday Autos no longer deal with travel agents either WS...I don't miss them that's for sure..One problem after another.

6. Re: Car Hire-Holiday Autos. Be aware.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2015, 05:15