We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile internet connections

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile internet connections

We will be in the Soller on holiday this summer and are staying just outside the town, the property has no phone/internet connection and I wondered what our options are as far as mobile 3G networks were. I know we are on holiday and shouldn't be bothering about things like that but we both like to keep up with things on a daily basis.

Does anyone have any idea of the options available for 3G connection, would we need a 3G hub and a local sim card and assuming we had a 3g connection would it be fast enough for basic internet browsing. I had a look at network coverage and it appears Movistar have the best coverage in the area.

Any advice appreciated.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile internet connections

Actually, Vodafone has slightly better coverage than Movistar, but both are comparable.

Movistar seems to offer a bit better all-in packages for land line, mobile, internet, etc. But that's best for long-term resident contracts.

Vodafone offers the "smart" pay-as-you-go plans. We have "smart-8" on our phones - and that seems to be plenty for us: 1GB data, 20 sms (we don't do sms, we have WhatsApp) and 20 mins (outgoing) talk time in Spain (incoming calls are not charged) for €8 per month (just under €10 with IVA). They have bigger plans - smart-16, smart-20 etc. Go to any phone shop to get a sim card and sign up for a plan - I think you get started for about €15 in total for the card and first month.

The good news is that it's Pay as you go. No contract. just top up at any supermarket or phone shop, or with a credit card using the Vodafone app for android or iPhone. When you don't need it, don't top it up anymore...

I'm sure there are other providers offering similar plans, but Vodafone at least has good coverage throughout the island.

Good luck.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile internet connections

Thanks for that mallorcat, very helpful. I did a coverage check on here

http://www.sensorly.com/map/2G-3G/ES/Spain/Movistar/gsm_21405#|coverage

and it looks as if Vodaphone coverage is not available and Movistar are the only provider that covers most of Soller, even then we fall outside Moviestar's coverage area according to the web site.

I think we would also need a hub to create a local network to allow our non 3G devices to connect via wifi.

If we can't get access its no great hardship it just means a 5 minute walk to the nearest bar with free wifi :-)

Edited: 19 April 2014, 09:50
Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile internet connections

If you are on Vodafone, you can use your UK tariff for a coupleof quid a day. That's what I do when Im abroad in a country that has Vodafone (Like Spain has Vodafone ES).

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile internet connections

Just go into any bar or restaurant for free wifi. For phone calls and texts coverage is good. We haven't lost our signal very much. We're in Port Soller at the moment c and have caught up with emails in our favorite bar each night using their wifi.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile internet connections

Looks like we are outside the coverage areas for 3G connection even with Movistar which is the best in that area. I suppose once there we could see if there is a 3G signal and then look at our options from there.

Cardiff, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile internet connections

Just got back from Santa Ponsa (31st July 2014)

I too needed a data SIM whilst I was out there for a MIFI device (no wifi in the villa we were renting).

On the main road from the taxi rank to the Eroski Supermarkets you can find Movistar, Vodaphone, Orange and Yoigo shops, they always seemed to be closed (maybe I was going around there at the wrong times??), although I did get to talk with the Yoigo sales person once who wanted 45 euros for a data SIM pack, I gladly smiled and walked out.

At the top of the road are the two Eroski supermarkets, in there you can buy Lebara SIM cards, I bought a SIM with 1GB valid for 30 days for 7.50 euros. BARGAIN,

It came in the large SIM format (although you could push the centre of the SIM out to give you the micro SIM size)

All I had to do was change the APN on my MIFI device to the one shown on the instructions and bingo I was up and running. Signal was good, speeds seemed fine too,

A few simple things to do before you go, ensure your auto app updater is switched off, no real need to up date apps whist using this SIM, wait till you get to an bar / restaurant and use their data, also keep the you-tube / facetime / movie streaming off as this to will eat that 1GB up in no time.

It was fine to send a few emails, send a few photos via whatsapp, check the football transfers out etc.

One thing to note is you will need to take your passport with you to get a SIM, new law in Spain I was told.

Would I use Lebara again - YES

7. Re: Mobile internet connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:15