We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you have enough insurance cover

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Do you have enough insurance cover

I was looking at renewing our annual travel insurance policy and was trying to deciding what level of cover we need. It was only when I added up the replacement costs of the electronics/gadgets that I realised how high the value was. We are probably much the same as many other people who over the years have started taking more and more gadgets on holiday without really looking at how much it would cost to replace it all if lost or stolen.

On our last trip we had :

2 smart phones

1 tablet computer

1 netbook computer

2 kindle devices

1 camera

On top of that we usually have a Sat-Nav system

Just for example say you had 2 of the latest i-phones and 2 i-pads the cost to buy replacements would be £1900

If you add up the replacement cost of those along with other things like watches and jewellery it certainly mounts up without even considering clothing and shoes.

It is well worth making sure you are well covered before you need to make a claim and find out you can only claim back a fraction of the cost.

Do you take many gadgets with you ?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,854 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

Hayzer, re your qn - "Do you take many gadgets with you ?" -

On holiday I'm the opposite end of the technological spectrum from you; here's the list of items that we take -

Zero smart phones

Zero tablet computer

Zero netbook computer

Zero kindle devices; a paperback instead !

2 cameras

Zero Sat-Nav, a paper map instead !

Perhaps it's because most of my career has been associated with technology !

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

Sadly we tend to be slaves to technology these days.

I was trying to highlight the potential financial loss if you are under insured, I was a bit surprised when I added up the cost of what we took on holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

Slaves indeed..

I'd consider myself quite traditional. For me it's puzzle books by the pool and walking and exploring the area I'm in.

However, I still get higher insurance for the 'just-in-case' moments. Nothing more peaceful than knowing you and your partner/family/friends are safe and well looked after.

We spend an avarage of £500pp on holiday. Why skimp over £20 on insurance?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

While we are on the subject of insurance, can I just add to be sure to declare pre existing conditions, as if you don't, even if you are taken ill for some unrelated issue, your claim could be invalid.

It's surprising how much it can add to the cost, but you can also choose not to have those conditions covered, so long as you declare them.

As Albert says though, we spend a lot of money on holiday, and even my handful of "added extras" only cost about £50 extra to insure. I probably wouldn't blink at paying £50 extra for my holiday, so not worth skimping on the extra cost of insurance.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,855 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

Wen buying holiday insurance I am more interested in what it offers for illness cover. We also have our EHIC, but I just think it is foolhardy to go abroad without medical insurance.

I am not bothered in taking loads of gadgets on holiday. Normally only take mobile phone and camera. Do take the laptop when we take the car to France, which we do 3 or 4 times a year. However, gadgets can easily be replaced, but your health is far more important.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,854 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

I should have added to my post no 1, Hayzer, that it's a very good point you make about the total cost of what many people take for granted as 'essentials'.

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

Thats a lot of electronic stuff for holidays, but sat nav comes in handy. We dont take anything. No jewelry, no electronic stuff,except our phones. Nothing worth anything. Mainly because im on holiday and cant be bothered with having to worry about losing it. But if you do need it then it'd pay to check the small print of travel insurance, especially if its cheap. Luckily we've not had to make any claims ever. I wonder hayzer if it would pay to get a slightly more expensive cover, which may be more reliable to pay out? I have no experience of claiming so I wouldnt know: just a thought.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 18:15
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

On the subject of pre-existing medical conditions, you also have to be sure to inform the insurance company of any changes in those conditions and any changes to medication you are taking when buying a new policy and even during the period of cover.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

Luckily I don't have any medical conditions that would effect my premium costs but if I did I would definitely declare them. It would be pointless to have insurance that could be invalid when you really need it.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 13:53
Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
837 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you have enough insurance cover

I thought you had Gail,or am I incorrect