We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIXT false damage claims

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
SIXT false damage claims

I wonder if anyone else here had bad experiences with SIXT. We hired a car from them on Mallorca for our holiday. When we got the car we took pictures of all the existing damages on the car.There where damages all over really. We used the car very little and we have been very careful with it. When we brought the car back they did not want to check it over and did say all is fine.

Just after the holiday we got a damage claim of them for damages which clearly where there before on our photographs! They do not reply to any questions and insist we damaged the car. We wish we would have read up more about SIXT before our rental. Anyone else having problems?

17 replies to this topic
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: SIXT false damage claims

I'm not sure you would have learnt anything by reading up on here. I don't think I've ever seen a bad word said against them, infact they are one of the regulars favourites.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: SIXT false damage claims

Stonerocks ... following on and in supporting trinets post I think what is important here is the response from Sixt when you show them the dated photographs and the copy of the contract. In my experience dents/scratches are agreed and marked on the diagram of the car unless of course you have a Zero excess such as with Vanrell.

I can't imagine Sixt pursuing a false claim.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: SIXT false damage claims

There was a similar post about Sixt via Topcar in Fuerteventura last week.

Interesting

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,650 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: SIXT false damage claims

It seems that this practice is becoming more and more common as the hire companies seek to increase their income.

Goldcar are the worst offenders.

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
97 reviews
5. Re: SIXT false damage claims

I've never had a problem with them either in Mallorca or elsewhere. Doesn't mean it can't happen - in Italy there are lots of complaints about them - they are now part of WinRent there. Taking photos is useful but I'm wondering if/why you didn't get them to mark the damage on their diagram (all hire car companies have these as jmpee mentions) before you drove off. I won't drive away with a damaged car if it's not noted by them. I've never picked up a car from Sixt with lots of damage - heaven knows they charge enough so that would be unacceptable. We always get zero excess and undercarriage/roof coverage too. Your credit card company might be able to help but I think you could have a problem with this without zero excess. Photo dates can be changed quite easily on android or iphone so unfortunately those might not be accepted as proof that the damage was present when you collected the car.

Edited: 11 November 2017, 23:02
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: SIXT false damage claims

It's the principle which I find the most irritating - I don't want to encourage what is effectively corporate insurance fraud by Sixt. We have an extra yearly insurance, (not from Sixt), which covers the excess costs on car hire so it won't cost me a penny, but I don't want to give Sixt this money when the 2 minor scratches were already present on the car at pickup. I think the car had even more non recorded scratches then these 2, but when I hire a car I don't expect to be responsible for checking their cars for them in a dark multi-storey car park after a long day travelling, with no Sixt personnel available for verification. As the customer paying for a premium service, that is not my job. I wonder if they want to sue in the UK or in Spain? In the UK it is quite easy to defend such small claims cases over the internet, and judges are quite fair to the small man.

Edited: 25 November 2017, 08:07
liverpool
Level Contributor
127 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: SIXT false damage claims

I had an issue in April this year having used them many times and believing they were the most reliable company. I fought their claim via several emails and they eventually dropped the claim. Stay persistent and use thrifty in the future, they are the most transparent.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: SIXT false damage claims

I have used Sixt a few times and yes had a similar issue with them once ie returned car and employee pointed out a scratch that was not recorded on the document you get when you hire a Sixt car.

Fortunately for me the employee was the boss showing off in front of the staff I just pointed out all the cash Sixt had made from me over the years.

I did however get involved with Sixt over a Collision Damage Waiver charge that I felt I was bounced into in Berlin.

I advise you to get on hire car forum boards and moan on and on and on about it over several weeks!

Sixt hated my moaning and eventually reimbursed over half the waiver fee-it might work and costs you nothing.

Los Angeles...
1 post
9. Re: SIXT false damage claims

I have had almost the exact same experience as you have had. I rented the car in Barcelona and returned it at the Barcelona Airport. When I returned it, all was fine. Five days later Sixt sent an e-mail claiming I had damaged the car and they have been requesting money ever since (now it is 6 months later). They never send any communication with a name attached; it is always "Sixt Team." They never answer any questions nor do they provide any adequate documentation of the supposed damage. Even though my rental was in Barcelona, the Sixt e-mails all come from Majorica.

My impression is that they are a very crooked organization and I would never rent from them again. I advise anyone tempted by their low rates to just walk away.

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
97 reviews
10. Re: SIXT false damage claims

Tempted by their low rates? Sixt? There must be a giraffe or two involved here. We've used them despite, not because, of their low rates. It's disappointing to hear this (and I've seen some poor reviews elsewhere) because we've had good service so far but it just shows how important it is to get full and adequate insurance. Regulation of all car hire in France, Spain and Italy is long overdue. My advice would be to take it up with your credit card provider.

Reply to: SIXT false damage claims
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palma de Mallorca