We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with a 6 month old baby

Belfast
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling with a 6 month old baby

I am trying to convince my wife to take our 6 month old baby for a week to Majorca in September. She has a number of issues:

1. Do buses or taxi's provide a car seat for transfers or do we take our own.

2. Is the water safe to use for making bottles and food for babies.

3. Would it be too hot in late September for a baby.

4. Will we be able to buy the samebaby food etc as we would in the UK

I'm sure there were other issues but I can't remember at present. Can anyone share their experiences with me on this?

Thanks

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

yes there are companys that do child seats ,you need to check when booking

water i would not use out of tap but bottled water is plentifull and cheap and im sure must be safe

the next 1 im not sure about it is warm and hot in sept but just keep baby out of sun

and yes you can get all the same baby foods has in the uk magaluf even has a british product supermarket now

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

I have just asked my wife. She said she wouldn't take a 6 month old baby to Majorca. There is nothing in it for the child. Better wait until (s)he is a bit older and can take in the differences.

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

I think the success of taking a baby away depends on how relaxed and flexible mum and dad are. If you are going to stick rigidly to routine, baby in bed by 7pm etc then you may not find that it is much of a holiday at all. If you are flexible and don't mind the baby falling asleep in the buggy then you will have a great time. I know because I did the first and we nearly jumped over the balcony, went back with my dad two weeks later who insisted on the second system and we had a great time. The baby just fell asleep when he was ready and we went out for dinner, to the dancing etc etc.

Late September will be splendid. Buy a little paddling pool and put some water in it and the baby will splash happily in the shade.

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

Leaving aside the generalities of if you should or not

Answers to your questions

1. Already covered

2. Buy Font Vella "Suave" bottled water. Some of the others, eg Font Sorda, have high levels of salts

3. There are babies here on the island, so generally, no, its not too hot. There are some obvious things not to do eg leave them in the sun, and a hotel/villa with AC is a really good idea

4. Do you mean baby FOOD, or Formula. You can buy imited quantities of SMA in some of the shops in resorts, but generally you will hav eot take your own.

You can buy baby pots from Hero (Organic, German) plus others, in all Pharmacies. Best place to stock up is probably Muller - there is one in Arenal, Inca, Pto Alcudia and probably elsewhere. Note its pretty much impossible to get baby rice/cereals without sugar here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

Hi,

If you take a tour operator coach transfer they do not provide car seats. Have travelled numerous times in Spain/Portugal and Greece and not once got a car seat even though we asked for one. If you book private transfers just double check.

Late September is fine to take a baby. I just wouldn't go July/August with them. As long as you're relaxed with their routine it's fine and the locals always love to make a fuss over babies.

Which airline are you planning on going with? If it's Thomas Cook Airlines they also give baby free luggage allowance. They just don't make a practice of advertising that they do. If you end up going with them let me know and I'll get hold of the telephone number for you as you have to pre-book.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

Hello,

We will be travelling with Thomas Cook but wasnt aware the luggage allowance for baby. I sthere anyway of us confirming this as we are wanting to take a travel cot and that alone is almost 10kg.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

Hi,

Yes you're in luck so I'll get hold of their telephone number so you can pre-book it. In the meantime, you'll need to find your flight numbers as they'll need them. Will Private message you with the tel number later.

Michelle

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

i always flew with Thomas cook when my 2 were little, and we had to travel with 2 luggage allowances for the 4 of us. Cannot believe we could have got kids luggage allowance, we had even on occasion booked our flights only with them and still did not get the offer of this. They are swines for not advertising this!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

Hi Sanag,

I think this is a fairly new thing. I've worked in the travel industry for nearly 20 years and we've just been told about it. So if you travelled with them a few years ago that's probably changed since you went. It is a shame they don't advertise it but it's just one of those things - probably because it costs them extra in fuel. Next time we are asked for feedback from them will feed it up the chain, whether it'll make a difference is another matter.

England
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with a 6 month old baby

Hi

I am travelling to Palma in June with our one-year-old baby, but am using my experience of travelling around South Africa in November 2008 with our then 7/8-month-old to answer these Qs.

1. We drove to the airport in the UK so took our own car seat, so we knew it was safe. Airlines allow you to check one in for free (double check your airline of course though). We then used this in airport taxi othere end. You coould always take a seat belt extension if concerned about fittings.

2. We took dry formula and mixed it with water we boiled in the kettle: boiled up lots of water, stored in mineral water bottles we had finishhed and kept in fridge. Then just take around with you each day what you need in a thermos flask, so warm or cold and hygienic. Beware of bottle water as high sodium content for babies.

3. When we were in Cape Town it was 27C daytime and in Sun City it was 40C heat wave! ust stay covered and keep lots milk/water down.

4. I bought their baby food: same idea but I'd say more sugar/salt than we have in UK. Like Cow and Gate or Heinz really, which I don't buy in UK for those reasons. She also ate natural yoghurt, bananas, bread and bits of fruit lie ripe pear we bought. I took one sachet of Ella's Kitchen food for each day, which was plenty for our little baby, supplemented by the above foods. We also gave her fish from our plates if simply cooked, i.e. no salty sauces. We took a pack of baby porridge and baby rice. We packed just about all here stuff for 3 weeks in the usual travel hostess onboard bag, so it couldn't get 'lost' on the flight.

5. We took a lightweight Samsonite travel cot (bouoght on ebay; resell good). They have two: very small and folds to size of small bike wheel (good if baby not yet sitting well as won't sit up and pull at moz net) and larger one, size of larger bike wheel but will micro light to carry. We're taking this this trip as she's crawling.

I think the main consideration is to have a relaxed outlook. We spent a few days in an apartment in cape Town and saw most of the sights on a Sight. Bus. and took it easy, stopping for lots of free sit downs to have drinks and feed/water baby. We travelled to JBrg by overnight train which was just fine, as enjoyed views and everything on board, and then a few days in an apartment in Sun city and even hired a car and took her on safari in Pilansberg. The flight was 18 hours with stop over in Dubai and was OK. My baby was and is very energetic and a bad sleeper but was OK apart form the odd 5 minute 'moan'. The best toy for on board: a very sturdy plastic necklace around my neck so she could sit on my knee and play with it and it didn't get dropped on floor. A 6-month-old sleeps much better than a toddler too so a good time to travel in all. You get a travel cot too if you call and reserve (free) ini advance. Fiirst coome, first served. You can also check in or usually take your buggy to the gate. I took a sling to carry her around the airport in. My baby is very fair (almost translucent) so I took a sun shade for the buggy and packed lightweight cotton trousers and free flowing long tops, so quite covered yet cool, and a few sun hats, esp legionnaires style. and some factor 50 sun cream. I'd advise staying in an apartment so you have your own cooking facilities so can eat and drink dinner on the balcony while baby sleeps. Our baby tended to crash in buggy while out and went to bed at usualish time and we just sat on the balcony watching the sun set and waves crash over a BBQ. Take a special UV sunsuit with legionnaire hat (and a blow up water thing for here to sit in in pool for safety) too as they cover most of the body and minimise cream application. We had a fantastic time travelling around SA. It was hard in some ways as when you have a baby your time is never really your own but it was fantastic to get away. We were going to camp with our girl this year, but I just thought blow it and booked our trip to stay in an apartment ini Palma a few days ago! We will get up early with baby when cooler and go for wanders to parks/beach walks, have some early lunch and then siesta with baby at heat of day, then out for late arvo cooler stroll before heading back for homecooked dinner with fish and cheese etc from the markets, sit on balcony and sip wine while she sleeps. Few day trips like train to Soller and a nice beach trip and a few sights like the Cathedral at quiet times b4 the crowds. Everyone will make a fuss of your baby ... it's Spain (wwll Balerics)! Go, have fun! Once you dare it, then you will be more confident about your next trip(s). Any Qs, just give me a shout.

Get answers to your questions about Palma de Mallorca